product rating

fairlaneltd
Community Member

Hello all, in regards to the product rating , the one with the yellow stars, how do i get rid of it from my listings, its just appear on some of my listings

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: product rating

i don't believe you can. no doubt someone else will correct me if i'm wrong - but it seems ebay is moving in the direction of having "product ratings" in relation to the individual items being sold as opposed to the focus being on feedback. gives people an opportunity to rate the item which is being sold as opposed to the direct seller. 

i've noticed some problems with this - with other sellers ratings being added to my listings - specifically where they may have used the same item title, but are selling counterfeit items and therefore, the rating is reflected on listings for genuine items as well. 

if you find out how to remove it - i'd be interested in hearing how also :]

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Sorry, it's not possible. 

I've had a couple of product reviews appear on my listings, but as far as I can tell they've all been for purchases from me as well (the reviews have the seller name next to them, but they're easy to miss unfortunately).

I suspect it's going to have a few teething problems while some people get used to the two different rating systems, as there are a lot of them I've seen which are seller reviews rather than product reviews. A while back I purchased an item that was just really terrible quality and contemplated leaving a product review (a fair and honest one), but ultimately didn't as I'm still inclined to think many sellers will view it similarly to feedback since it's still directly tied to them and their listings. I also posed a question on a Facebook seller page, asking if people feel like a buyer should contact them prior to leaving an unfavourable product review, and many said they would prefer it. 

On one item of mine, I got a 1 star rating from a buyer who was unhappy with the condition of the items, left the rating several months after buying, then contacted me a week after leaving the review to complain about the products. Smiley Frustrated Which I actually only discovered a few weeks after the whole situation was done and dusted - I figured they had wanted to leave a neg but the option was gone for actual feedback, so they left the bad review instead, and when i didn't notice it, decided to actually contact me. It's a really popular item and no one has stopped buying it, though. Plus it seems a very lovely buyer went in and left a 5 star rating not too long after, so at least the average is now 3 Smiley LOL .

I'm kind of annoyed that it lists the product condition as 'used' in the review section, though - I list as 'new without tags', since I get large wholesale lots and package them up into smaller quantities. 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Sorry, it's not possible.

I'm kind of annoyed that it lists the product condition as 'used' in the review section, though - I list as 'new without tags', since I get large wholesale lots and package them up into smaller quantities. 

Maybe contact eBay and let them know as they are the ones that "review" it before it goes "live".)so they

haven't reviewed it correctly).

I left a review for one item that I considered 100% but the review only put it at 80%,(so the system isn't

perfect and may discriminate against some products)stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I'm not sure how or when people get asked to give a product rating as it hasn't happened to me yet, but it would make sense if (for products where it is applicable) the product rating was part of the feedback. Perhaps at the very top-clearly labelled product only . Then a demarcation line to ask questions about the seller & transaction/postage time etc

As mainly a buyer, I do want to know about the product, if possible, & not just the seller.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Hi, just wondering how I can have a bad product rating on one of my items listed when I have never even dealt with this person who left it.

So is it possible people can just leave bad ratings on anything they like?

I has a look at other items exactly the same and they don't have the bad rating.

Has anyone had any luck removing it yet, thankyou.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

from what we've gathered from other people's comments - it seems that the reviews are linked to either similar listing titles, or the UPC or MPN which is entered on the listing.

you're 100% correct in that the reviews don't necessarily have anything to do with a product you've sold. they can be from buyers who have bought the same item for another seller. if it has been bought from you, it will say it's a "verified purchase" and have your username on it too. 

most people if they have any sense won't take any notice of the reviews - but we know that isn't the case with a lot of buyers. you could try reporting the ones that don't relate to your item by clicking the "!" next to the appropriate comments and explaining it to ebay (which will probably fall on deaf ears) or you could try removing the MPN or UPC from your listing and seeing if that removes the reviews. 

unfortunately, they're the only suggestions i can think of. 

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@pioneerbay1 wrote:

Hi, just wondering how I can have a bad product rating on one of my items listed when I have never even dealt with this person who left it.

So is it possible people can just leave bad ratings on anything they like?

I has a look at other items exactly the same and they don't have the bad rating.

Has anyone had any luck removing it yet, thankyou.

Because it has nothing to do with you or your item, it is just a review of a typical ideally the same item, but often just similar, and often even that is a stretch. Its a common practice used throughout the web for product review pages. Unfortunately ebays are so loosely linked they are grossly misleading especially if the review is a scathing one.

If you see one and the review is seller and service orientated rather than the actual product quality you can report it then it may be removed. Only because it is against product review guidelines not because it is not relevent to your item

An example if I list say a country road dress, then I can end up seeing a review added for ANY country rd dress in any condition, by any seller. What use is that to anyone looking at my item??. If the review says terrible seller, it can be removed. if it says terrible product it wont.

If you have a UPI then you are more likely to at least get a same item review if there are any, otherwise its just a loose title match.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Hello, I have spoken to the ACCC following the discovery of several instances where this policy has potentially breached our consumer laws from a "misleading and deceptive conduct" standpoint. If you are an Australian seller feel to reach out to me. I am currently in discussions with an Australian Law firm as I believe we have strong grounds and much supporting evidence to bring a class action suit against eBay (no win, no pay).
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Hello, I have spoken to the ACCC following the discovery of several instances where this policy has potentially breached our consumer laws from a "misleading and deceptive conduct" standpoint. If you are an Australian seller feel to reach out to me. I am currently in discussions with an Australian Law firm as I believe we have strong grounds and much supporting evidence to bring a class action suit against eBay (no win, no pay).
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply