question about combined postage with paypal

01tmau
Community Member

Hi i have a buyer that has bid on 3 separate shorts. 

Before i could send her a combined invoice she has paid for the 3 shorts separately with paypal.  Its been a few days with numerous emails asking if she wants them sent separately or combined. 

What do i do if she doesnt get back to me?  If i send them in one parcel how do i refund and then if something happens i want to know the exact procedure with paypal dont want to get burnt.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you send via click and send then you can combine the 3 items into the once parcel and the tracking number is the same for all 3. I combine postage but some people obviously aren't fussed and just pay full postage on all three. Touch wood, but I haven't had a problem with sending them in one package together.

Check they are all the same Paypal address (that's the important one) and if they are, I think it's ok to send them in one lot. Just make sure you have tracking and proof of lodgement to cover yourself!

Quite a few sellers won't refund the difference in combined postage because it does muck up the payment status on the Ebay site, if you clearly state you do combined postage and they don't ask for it, then I think you've gone above and beyond by contacting them.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

yes will send with sign and insurance to save guard myself.  Well ill just send them in one if she doesnt get back to me.  But she has spend another $18 on postage

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

The official PayPal policy is that Seller Protection is void if you combine items that have been paid for separately into one parcel. 

In practice, that has been applied sporadically as far as I know, but in a practical sense, if an Item Not Received claim was opened for all three, you would be only able to defend one of them (and if you proved that you sent them together, you would in fact be compromising your protection). 

What I do in these kinds of circumstances really depends on the items that have been bought, but if there's a decent amount to be saved, the first thing I do is send the buyer one message thanking them for their purchases and payment(s) etc, then say that I can offer a combined postage discount if they are all sent in one package. I then let them know that to avoid delays to postage, I will send all items separately if I am not able to confirm their choice by (explicit time, usually at least 4 hours notice, but up to two days if they purchase on a Friday night). 

If the items are low enough value and weren't going to be sent via C&S or registered post, and the buyer ok's them to be sent in one package, I just log into PayPal and refund the excess postage and send all items together as normal. If the items are higher in value, I refund all payments and re-invoice for all items, with postage adjusted accordingly. (If the latter, it's best to explain that's what needs to happen in the original message).

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

well if she doesnt get back to me ill send them all separately to make sure im okay with paypal the middle man

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
What's with all the issues with shorts lately haha? This is the 3rd thread by a seller with issues.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Summer is just around the corner!!!

I think there is still a problem with buyers making multiple purchases from one seller when using a smartphone or tablet. The app won't accept combined payments. Before they can purchase another item, they are asked to pay for the first. Very very annoying from seller point of view just because of the paypal fees charged for each transaction.

However this can be gotten around by using the "classic site" link at the bottom of the app - in effect they are using the ebay site to make there purchases and the problem of multiple purchases goes away.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I clearly state that items will only be combined in one parcel if they are paid for on a single invoice so if a buyer makes multiple payments for items I just treat them as different transactions. As my store items are postage included there is no question of discounts so it is not going to save the buyer anything by combining and I have already factored in the full price anyway.

I do offer a combined postage discount on my auction items but the same rule applies, they must wait for a combined invoice or they will be sent individually. The exception is newbies, I will send them one email asking them to let me know within 24 hours if they would like me to refund their payments and re invoice them with a combined discount which will save them $XX.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply