"Sell your old Phone or Console free from selling fees" promo. Have just been charged selling fees!

Sell your old Phone or Console free from selling fees

Pay no selling fees on your sale & get 10% back as a voucher for a Phone or Console upgrade.

Got this offer and sold my phone. Now I take it to understand that selling fees means listing fees and final value fees. I've been charged $100 in fvf's. I talked to ebay who say that even though it says that in the title, in the terms and conditions it does say that you will be charged a selling fees. I think the headline "free from selling fees" overrules anything in the t & c's. ebay say they have had multiple complaints about this, and they understand my frustration....

Did anyone else take up this offer? I feel like complaining to fair trading or something. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

"Sell your old Phone or Console free from selling fees" promo. Have just been charged selling fees!

Did you click on accept offer ?

If so, click help at the top and go to online chat with eBay.

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Yes I accepted the offer, have already chatted with ebay as I mentioned above. 

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

When you accept an offer, you are confirming you have read and understanf the  T & C's

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@bubblebooks2020 wrote:

I feel like complaining to fair trading or something. 

I'm not sure what the outcome would be, but I think it's worth a shot, if the promotional headline and T&Cs are completely contradictory (there are advertising standards in Australia, and a website / busines, no matter how big or small, can't mislead people and then shrug their shoulders and point to fine print - T&Cs are for setting parameters, they shouldn't be used to re-define the promo).

Do you have a link to the promo and its T&Cs at all, as I'm interested in taking a look (I only got "Sell your old Phone or Console now & get 10% back to spend*", where they'd give you a voucher code to use equal to 10% of the sale price, or up to $50, and they knew how to be pretty clear for that headline.                                 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I know that, but when the HEADING says NO SELLING FEES! doesn't that overule anything in the t & c's. It's like listing a phone, with heading IPHONE 11 BRAND NEW RRP $2300, then in the description saying a used 1994 Nokia not working. It's deceptive and then they turn around and say yeah we know the heading said that but its a mistake, you owe us $100. They can't do that its unlawful and very dodgy!

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@bubblebooks2020 wrote:

I know that, but when the HEADING says NO SELLING FEES! doesn't that overule anything in the t & c's. It's like listing a phone, with heading IPHONE 11 BRAND NEW RRP $2300, then in the description saying a used 1994 Nokia not working. It's deceptive and then they turn around and say yeah we know the heading said that but its a mistake, you owe us $100. They can't do that its unlawful and very dodgy!

Your comparison is nothing like terms and conditions.  By the way there is an extensive discussion on this offer on another site.

and it seems some people are having success in having any fees waived.  Some have not been charged ebay fees but are complaining that paypal fees still apply.  It also appears that some have not listed the items in the correct categories for fees to be waived,  and others state they have sold with no fees applied (Note some seem to be confusing related offers)

As always  read the fine print.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@bubblebooks2020 wrote:

Please correct me if I have this wrong, but it seems any reference to "No Selling Fees"  was only in the INVITATION EMAIL, and not in the Actual Heading of the Offer.  I linked to the offer via the other discussion I mentioned  and there is no mention of Fees in the heading.  The only relevance to Fees, is in the T & C's,  where it states

The regular fees for “selling without an eBay Store” apply, other than the additional allowance for free insertion fees.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Yes you are wrong. On my selling page on the offers down the bottom it has the offer as:
Sell your old Phone or Console free from selling fees
Pay no selling fees on your sale & get 10% back as a voucher for a Phone or Console upgrade.
It has 1 used and 9 remaining.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Have you tried to have the fees waived, and be aware just because one CS rep says no, does not mean you can not try again.

as stated some claim to be having the fees waived.

Use google and you may be able to get some additional info from discussions off site

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply