re gumtree owned by ebay...

recently sold a prodcut on gumtree owned by ebay, i buy wholesale and re sell for a profit.

so a buyer bought an item then finds out over weekend who my supplier is and what i paid for it and immediately starts a complaint with paypal saying i ripped him off now going through the process of a dispute. Luckily for me i notified my bank and they won't allow paypal to remove funds from my bank account.

buyers have to much power, buyer changes mind because he finds out the difference from wholesale to retail and is now claiming im a fraudulent.

anyone else have this problem?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sorry but dont understand how paypal became involved in a transaction on Gumtree.  Did you accept paypal for the sale?  I have honestly never heard of anyone doing that.  Most GT transactions are cash upon pick up.  Dont really understand why you think Ebay has anything to do with it.  They may own GT but trading is totally different. 

I am somewhat confused with your post.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

gumtree has a paypal option now on it and the buyer was to far away to warrent a drive  postage was quicker and ebay own gumtree...

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Don't use gumtree at all but is paypal the preferred payment electronically? If not you should have asked for payment to be made via bank deposit.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

As I live in a small country town I can't go and pick things up far away so I have used Paypal on Gumtree a few times and had items posted. It is not unusual.

Latest reply

@bloodlust_03wrote:

"recently sold a prodcut on gumtree owned by ebay, i buy wholesale and re sell for a profit.

so a buyer bought an item (Thro Gumtree) then finds out over weekend who my supplier is and what i paid for it and immediately starts a complaint with paypal saying i ripped him off now going through the process of a dispute. Luckily for me i notified my bank and they won't allow paypal to remove funds from my bank account. "

Even though Gum Tree is owned by E-Bay, I think your problem is with Gumtree and you should address you problems thro them and Paypal

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Even though Gum Tree is owned by E-Bay, I think your problem is with Gumtree and you should address you problems thro them and Paypal

It has nothing to do with either Gumtree or ebay, the same situation could have occurred had the seller agreed to accept Paypal for an item sold through any portal. The only way this buyer could get a refund is if they made a Paypal claim that the item had not been received or was not as described. If I were the seller I would call Paypal and ask them to note that the claim is for change of mind and so does not qualify for a refund. Preventing the bank from removing funds is not a wise move. When you sign up to Paypal you agreed to allow them to do just that and should go through the correct procedure to get money back if they do take it. If they try to take funds and can't get them then they will just pass the debt onto a debt collecting agency and it will take you a lot longer to sort that out than it would to appeal a wrong withdrawal.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Paypal does not offer buyer protection via gumtree.

This is what it says on the paypal site:

"Note: PayPal Buyer Protection does not apply to payments made through Gumtree. Before you pay, carefully inspect the item in person or confirm the service has been completed to your satisfaction. Make sure you are with the seller when you pay. ... Link your PayPal account to your Gumtree account."
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I dont think this a genuine post
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply