refunds with bank transfers....?

saarzi
Community Member

Im about to buy something via bank transfer, Ill screenshot the receipt and email to the buyer so its in the communication history.

Will Ebay force a refund if the item doesnt turn up?  or am I only covered like that if I pay with Paypal?

I assume Ebay would make them pay me back, but, just wanted to be sure because Ive never had this type of issue with one of my own buyers before, and its not a cheap item.

Thanks 😄

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

My understanding is that eBay's MBG requires a safe payment method or you are not eligible, you have no protection with bank transfer because eBay does not consider it a safe payment method.  Your bank may be able to do something should things go pear-shaped, but I imagine they wouldn't do it for free.  If it was an expensive item I would be using Paypal personally.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

ok ty... Ill use Paypal just in case 😄

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I'd also use paypal if expensive, ebay won't help with a BD.

I've given refunds by BD for items paid by BD, surely lots of sellers do. I'm more than happy for buyers to use it instead of paypal and would never screw someone over b/c ebay's policy worked in my favour for once. But I guess you can't assume that of all sellers, sadly.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Ebay do not consider bank transfer safe because they dont make any money out of bank transfers. Paypal on the other hand make them money.

How many posters here dont get a salary, pension, payment, deduction, dividend,premium- the list can go on for ages - by bank transfer?? Billions of dollars get moved around daily by bank transfers.

Pay for a restuarant meal with Paypal? You are buying a product and paying before you recieve it? If the meal is no good open a dispute??

Buy that new house with paypal and if you find salt damp after 3 months open a dipute??

Buy a car with paypal?? how does that work?? Can you even do that?

Food for thought about safe payment methods.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@kingfisher.curiosity.shop wrote:

Pay for a restuarant meal with Paypal? You are buying a product and paying before you recieve it? If the meal is no good open a dispute??

Buy that new house with paypal and if you find salt damp after 3 months open a dipute??

Buy a car with paypal?? how does that work?? Can you even do that?

Food for thought about safe payment methods.

I am sure there are some restaurants that can be paid using paypal....there are plenty of retails stores that accept it.  Whether there is paypal protection for the transaction is something you would need to check with paypal.

If you can find a house cheap enough to be paid with paypal then you would probably not be able to live in it anyway.  There is a limit to the amount that paypal covers you know.

If the car dealer accepts paypal I am sure you can do it....if the car is cheap enough.  Again the paypal $20,000 limit comes into play.

But to put it into perspective.....why would you want to pay for meals, houses and cars with paypal.  It is an online payment method for online purchases...things you cannot inspect before you buy and you are relying on the honesty of the seller who you don't know.

It is not a payment method that is advocated for items you can inspect and refuse to pay for if they are not as described.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Ebay do not consider bank transfer safe because they dont make any money out of bank transfers

What makes you say that?

The reason is there is no buyer protection when paying by bank deposit. Scammers encourage buyers to pay with bank deposit.

How could eBay force a seller to give a refund, if eBay can't access the sellers bank account?  

Whereas with Paypal - that can be done.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Pay for a restuarant meal with Paypal? You are buying a product and paying before you recieve it? If the meal is no good open a dispute?? What's the difference there between paying by eftpos or paypal or cash? if meal is no good.. up to the restaraunt to replace or refund.

Buy that new house with paypal and if you find salt damp after 3 months open a dipute?? House example covered by laws. Doesn't matter which method you pay for the house.

Buy a car with paypal?? how does that work?? Can you even do that?  Why would that be an issue? If car is a dud, maybe more protection through paypal, if not consumer laws.

What have those examples got to do with buying online from eBay?

I have bought airline tickets with Paypal, well in advance of receiving the service.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Ebay do not consider bank transfer safe because they dont make any money out of bank transfers

What makes you say that?

The reason is there is no buyer protection when paying by bank deposit. Scammers encourage buyers to pay with bank deposit.

How could eBay force a seller to give a refund, if eBay can't access the sellers bank account?  

Whereas with Paypal - that can be done.

Agree. 

As a buyer, if Paypal is available I would pay no other way.  

If Oz banks got off their complacent butts they would have competitive products for us to choose from - but they don't

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply