selling

write31
Community Member

I just sold my iPad. I put a buy it now price on it of $175.00 but it was sold for $96.65. Why was it sold for less that the buy it now price?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

selling

Did you have both an auction and a BIN?

When somebody places a bid, the BIN disappears.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

selling

The other two times you listed it, you had an auction with a buy it now option

I can't see a completed sale for the price you mention, only one for $75.00 plus postage 

As mentioned, if someone bids, the 'buy it now' vanishes and it becomes an auction only, the highest bid (no matter how many bids there are) wins and you need to honour that sale

There are no 'reserves' so if you want a certain price, don't offer an auction, or only start an auction at a bid you are happy with

Have you signed up for Managed Payments and been given the go ahead to start selling already? 

And are you aware of the hold on funds as you a new seller?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

selling

@sandypebbles wrote:

The other two times you listed it, you had an auction with a buy it now option

I can't see a completed sale for the price you mention, only one for $75.00 plus postage 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the OP might have meant with postage considering they mentioned 65 cents like in the postage. Where I am, it is still cheaper (by $5), but it might depend on where the buyer is...

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

selling

Sounds like a rookie mistake. You put a high BIN, but started the auction much lower.

Auctions have zero guarantees that they will go higher than the BIN price, as you have learned.

It would have been better to either set a much higher auction starting price, or only offer a BIN price.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can cancel the transaction, but be aware that you may get negative feedback.

As mentioned, make sure you are fully signed up and verified for Managed Payments, otherwise you'll never be seeing any of your money.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

selling

If you have a buy it now price in an auction format, most people will start a bid at the lowest price.

The buy it now is seen as the highest price.

Always start an auction at the minimum price you are willing to take.

In this case, if you are unhappy with the price, cancel the sale and refund any money that was paid. You could explain to the buyer that you made a mistake and misunderstood, thought the buy it now was a reserve price.

Worth reading the ebay instructions as they will help you see how it all works.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply