should i leave or should i stay?

I don't know if i should leave ebay or try other auction sites. Everytime there is a new policy or change it always seems to badly affect sellers. eg negative feedback button removed, money back guarantee rip off,  defect system etc Hardly any sales any more.

I don't know if it's worth staying with ebay or trying other sites. I have found a few but they are not as well known as ebay and don't know if i would be wasting my time to try them all. 

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Geez, digi,  I said other postage costs were OTT - not the earrings.

And sending them for, say, $2 is ample for packing etc and less postage fvf

Nothing wrong with a bubble envelope.  And they can be sourced cheaply.

A lot of the OP's items would fit in a bubble envelope for $2

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

I was just responding to the statement that $3 P&H for earrings was not ok. 

And again, you're suggesting for someone else what is ample. Maybe for some it is, but I know for a fact that for others it's not. It's easy to look at one item and say what the lowest known costs are for that one item, and apply a specific reasoning to account of the rest of the costs for one item, but when a seller lists 100+ items, they are taking a lot more than one item into consideration when they work out how they're going to approach P&H. 

Less FVF doesn't really factor into it, just like it doesn't when people decide on item prices (I don't mean it shouldn't be accounted for, I mean I would look at people funny if they used less FVF as a reason for me to lower my item prices).

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

OP's postage is all over the place like a mad woman's breakfast.

It's not consistent.  They have even stated that they would refund the extra

But a potential buyer doesn't know that.

$9.75 postage for a  DVD does not make a 2nd hand DVD a bargain (an example only)

And the OP was the one talking about all the fees to be paid

I just thought I would offer some advice (be it good or bad) as the OP

doesn't seem to be selling much at all.

And it was only that - advice.    bgirlpants.gif

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

$9.75 postage for a  DVD does not make a 2nd hand DVD a bargain (an example only)

They would be paying fees on the excess, despite refunding the difference, so it would make sense to have the correct postage to start with.

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

I understand all that, I'm not trying to have a go at you, and I'm certainly not posting on a personal level, I am disagreeing (more broadly) with the notion that P&H prices that are a certain amount higher than stamp prices are somehow wrong, which I thought was implied by saying $3 was not ok. 

I get that you would not be the only one to look at the P&H and not purchase, too, but I speak up on this issue (at most opportunities) because there's quite often a lot more to a P&H quote than just stamp price + packaging cost = X amount, and it's not fair to automatically regard certain amounts above that as unreasonable. 

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

I know that and you know that.       Most buyers wouldn't though.

They just see what they think is too much and go elsewhere.

That's your average buyer for ya

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

Sometimes i wish that ebay would allow sellers to refine the postage method.
normaly when looking at a listing the postage part says "standard" or you can pay extra for sig on delivery or whst not.
i think maybe if the seller gets a option to say "padded bag" or something like that would be cool, and yes i do realise that you can write that in the item description, but not all buyers read descriptions
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

Sellers do get the option to say it's a padded bag or what size it is it's in the listing process have a look next time you list.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

$9.20 postage for dvds are just being greedy

i sell many dvds  and postage is only $1.40 plus 20 cents for the padded envelope

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

Selling is all about perception so it would be better to charge $2.95 postage or better still add a dollar to the item price and charge $1.99 for delivery.

For parcels I use the ebay satchels and labels and charge $7.95 which is perceived as being better value than $8 by buyers skimming through search results.

As others have said why do you have to stop selling on ebay just because you use other resources, I sell things elsewhere but nowhere else do I sell as much for as high prices as I can achieve on ebay, as long as I am making money I am happy to keep listing, if the day ever comes when I don't then I will stop.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 20 of 29
Latest reply