sold an item buyer messaged to say its not as described what do I do.....

I just sold some scalextric tracks most were a bigger size track but one lot was a smaller size track.

the buyer of the smaller lot has messaged to say the item is not as described that its not scalextric thats its smaller and has different conections.

It is smaller and has different conections to the other tracks I listed and I put in the listing that it is different to the other tracks, ok now I guess I could have put this track is smaller, lighter, and has different conections to the other tracks I am selling but that scalextric cars still run round the track and it has scalextric on the transformer, but I didn't.

I listed the item as scalextric as that is what is on the transformer and I'm sure that is what was on the box that it lived in many years ago.

I have never had an item not as described before so not sure what I should do or what is going to happen.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If they paid by paypal and open a dispute for item not as described and it is escalated to a claim paypal will ask them to return at their cost by registered post to get a refund.

Up to you if you want them to return for a full refund BUT do not refund till they have returned them.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Ok thanks

so they would pay for return postage and then once the item is received I would refund the purchase price and what about the original postage

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

if you did not specify in your listing exactly what is on offer, you would have to refund the original amount paid = cost of item + postage

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Yes if they win the dispute they will have to return at their expense and if you are 100% sure it is Scelxtric that is how it should go.

If I were not 100% sure it is all Scelextric then I would either pay for the return post or refund and tell them to keep it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I am amazed that sellers still ask the question whether they have to refund the original postage cost......geeez.

And as for return postage on items that is for anything other than 'change of mind',why should the buyer (CUSTOMER) be out of pocket because of a mistake made by the seller?

If I was to buy an item for lets say $200+$20 postage and it arrives broken/not as described and I win the dispute and now have to return the item. Why should I now have to pay $20 postage to return it to receive my $220 back. I am now $20 out of pocket because of a seller mistake/problem/issue.

If its a return due to change of mind then YES the buyer should have to pay.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Have to admit I agree with you bsal160. I am a seller who would never expect a buyer to be out of pocket for my mistake. But unfortunately eBay/paypal rules that the buyer pays return (as you would have to at BM store) and it is up to the integrity of the individual seller regarding payment of returns.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Unfortunately that is the way it is, a buyer has to pay the cost of return for faultly or not as described goods. This is perfectly understandable if there is no way of showing by a picture or a condition report that the item qualifies for a refund and a buyer should return under those circumstances. If you can show the fault or damage or provide a condition report then a seller who still requires a return SHOULD pay for that return postage but unfortunately they cannot be forced to neither can they be forced to if it arrives back and is faulty. The way to make your feelings known about that is through feedback, any sellers who makes me have to return an easily proved faulty item back at my expense will get a neg and only one star for everything!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply