the roll out of ebay managed payments

i'm sure a lot or most of you probably received the managed payments email this morning. in case you didn't, or missed here - ebay is rolling out managed payments later in the year with pre-registration opening shortly.

more info is located at https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 1 of 699
Latest reply
698 REPLIES 698

I don't think eBay are doing a hard reset and switching everyone over same time. Our second account has not received any registration deadline. They appear to be targeting higher volume sellers to start with. There will be millions of part time sellers to deal with down the track.

So we will delay as long as possible until eBay Y2K beta testers are operational.
Message 191 of 699
Latest reply

@south.coffee wrote:
Once again thank you to all the early adopters for jumping off the cliff come late July. We'll hold back registering until all the lemmings have ironed out the bugs ahead so we have a soft landing on the 'pile' below...

Well, here's me basking in the complimentary similies. Smiley LOL

Lemmings were thrown off the cliff by Disney for their film, which created this widely believed but utterly false myth, so it's probably best not to perpetuate it.

But, since you did here - the idea behind it is that they were creatures that mindlessly followed each other to their own deaths - I personally made a decision based on experience with similar payment systems, and (in the back of my head) the knowledge that early adopters were grandfathered into a much better fee system than those who were switched over later (in the US), so there was a just in case element to that decision as well.

The payment system has been in place in the US for more than a year, there might be some bugs when it's in operation here, but I doubt they're going to be catastrophic, and even if they are, my 3 other stores will tide me over, I'm sure.

Cliff jumping isn't any where near as scary when you've done it a bunch of times before and thus know from experience it's not actually a cliff jump, just a little step that might cause a hiccup (or three). 

Message 192 of 699
Latest reply

I was told by eBay you don't have to sign up. Either way I'm not until forced too.
Message 193 of 699
Latest reply

True...you don't have to sign up but you will not be able to sell if you are not signed up when they change your account over.

Message 194 of 699
Latest reply

I'm still confused as to how I can view each individual payment received like I can do in Paypal currently, in terms of the buyer's name, address, the item they bought, the tracking number, and how much they paid. Will they be itemised like this in the bank account somehow?

Whenever I have to lodge an enquiry / claim compensation from Australia Post for a missing parcel, they require proof of the payment received / value of the item if it's over $50. An ebay sold record of the item is not valid, and they require Paypal proof (screenshot of payment). So how can I provide proof if my bank account doesn't show any details??
Message 195 of 699
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:
I'm still confused as to how I can view each individual payment received like I can do in Paypal currently, in terms of the buyer's name, address, the item they bought, the tracking number, and how much they paid. Will they be itemised like this in the bank account somehow?

Sellers will receive lump sum payments into their bank accounts, but before that individual purchases and payments will accrue in your eBay payments account, and will be itemised there. I'm not sure how the payment notifications will work or what info they will have, but i should be able to provide details on that on or after the 20th.

Message 196 of 699
Latest reply

"For this matter, eBay has it's own financial firm." "you can send us another note at paymentsinfo@ebay.com "

I asked if this was legal as they weren't answering to AFCA.

Digi, you seem to know a lot about this. I have a few things i thought of, not sure if been answered.

Returns, Does that mean returns can now last up to 180 days?

INR, Auspost tracking only lasts 60 days does that mean they can lodge an INR up to 180 days now? On ebay?

Unauthorized transactions, do we just take these on the chin?
Message 197 of 699
Latest reply

Also I just saw this. hahaha

ss (2020-07-11 at 05.04.20).png

Message 198 of 699
Latest reply

wait I just heard this on commsec news... is this related?

https://smallcaps.com.au/ebay-motors-partners-freelancers-escrow-com-secure-car-sales/

Possibly escrow managing the payments instead of Ayden
Message 199 of 699
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

Digi, you seem to know a lot about this. I have a few things i thought of, not sure if been answered.

Returns, Does that mean returns can now last up to 180 days?

INR, Auspost tracking only lasts 60 days does that mean they can lodge an INR up to 180 days now? On ebay?

Unauthorized transactions, do we just take these on the chin?

Unless eBay makes changes to their MBG policy, things will continue on as they are currently with regards to returns and INR timeframes (remember for INADs and INRs, it's 30 days after the last ETA, so this timeframe can be a few months already, after payment, if there is a long ETA for the item, though INRs are prevented until the ETA) via ebay, but disputes through other payment providers is something I'm also a little concerned about.

One of my bigger questions is, since buyers are able to pay with PayPal, and they can open an INR or INAD dispute for up to 180 days, or something like a CC chargeback via that payment system, what happens if eBay ask us to meet their seller protection requirements in order to not lose the money 100 days after a sale, when PayPal will only require proof of post? That would be putting sellers at an unfair risk, and potentially even create a system where seller protection is granted to eBay by PayPal because something like an eBay postage label was used and eBay maintain the tracking events onsite via verified API, which establishes proof of post, but eBay don't grant protection to the seller, so the buyer doesn't get refunded, but eBay take money from the seller anyway. I am kinda half-hoping one of the latest updates to the PayPal user agreement will prevent this - that is, buyer protection is not available if the payment is made via a processing service not hosted by PayPal - if the payment process for PP payments via eBay is considered to be hosted by Adyen, then PP protection will not be available to buyers using it to pay for eBay purchases and this is a situation that won't occur.

That still leaves CC chargebacks, though - again, if the seller was dealing directly with PayPal (should the payment have been made that way), they need only establish proof of post, and while eBay has mentioned seller protection via managed payments for chargebacks, they don't appear to have introduced any special rules or requirements, so a seller will need to provide proof of delivery to qualify it seems. Chargebacks can occur for up to 12 months after a sale, so this is going to be one of the things I want to know more about, but preferably not through anyone's first-hand experience.

PayPal seller protection for chargebacks is relatively unique in that other payment processors do not offer it, the bank investigates, decides on the outcome, and if you lose, you lose, whereas if you qualify for protection via PP and the bank decides you lose, PP pay the money and don't take it from you. So the protection eBay are offering under the MBG (as I understand it) is a slight step above the majority of payment processors, but a pretty big step down from PayPal, unless eBay adjust the requirements for seller protection beyond what can be established within that first 60 days. Perhaps the eBay codes included in addresses will help with this, if used? Though they only work on Aus Post parcels AFAIK, not courier packages or registered / tracked letters. 

Message 200 of 699
Latest reply