39 REPLIES 39

were have all the buyers gone from ebay

@horizon1907 wrote:

Who knows ? I'd say elsewhere ๐Ÿ™‚

yep..a lot are going to online stores..Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 40
Latest reply

Some of the stuff I'm selling off can be found from Chinese or Thai sellers and my prices are higher. People still tend to buy from me and I think it's because they know there's a 99% chance it's going to arrive, it's going to arrive in maximum 2 weeks, as opposed to 2 months+ and if for some reason they need to return, it only costs a couple of bucks, as opposed to some obscene amount sending to China or Thailand. I think having 100% feedback helps too.

I think there will come a time when people get sick of buying from China because people are getting more and more impatient and don't want to wait. They want everything yesterday.

Message 12 of 40
Latest reply

An item for $10 with $9 postage on ebay, I can buy elsewhere online for $10-12 incl postage (Aust website, US supplier)

100% agree because of ebays greed to charge 9.9 % in fvfs then wants a cut on postage it gave sellers no option but to add these cost into there prices and now most items listed here are as high or higher than can be found elsewhere.

ebay was a success for a long time because items listed was around 15 to 20 % cheaper than rrp but this is no longer the case with most listings are approx 4 % cheaper than rrp but add postage and items become dearer than found elsewhere.

as for where have the buyers gone ?.

ebay is working overtime to rid of all small sellers yet failed to relize that these same small sellers was also buyers.

12 months ago i was spending approx $1200.00  per month on my hobby buying diecast models.

in the past 12 months ive maybe spent $400.00 in total on ebay. as facebook has become a better place to buy at cheaper prices  as sellers there dont need to add fvf and postage fees to there items.

many can disagree that ebay is finshed and they will be the same people for years that got on forums here and always found away to agree to ebays crazy policys giving ebay the green light to continue to change things month by month until ebay is no longer a place most want to work with as its become to hard to deal with.

I say let ebay bleed to its own wounds let them become a drop shipping place for the millions of chiness **bleep** that has now flooded the place.  if i want some chiness made item ill go to any two dollar shop and get the same as the **bleep** that floods each and ever seached page.  please tell me any other bussiness in the world that offers buyers 180 day to return any item or dispute not as discribed what a joke if item is not as discribed then that should be dealt with within the first 7 days of reciving the item not six months later because buyer no lonhger needs the item.  180 to open a case that item didnt arrive surly the 45 days was ample time to again deal with this.

not only now sellers are under the new policy  of 180 days to say transaction is complete they now need to keep track of all postage recipts for 180 days as well.  ( i wonder if ebay was a retail outlet selling there own items would they offer 180 days protection to buyers hahaha i doubt it very much )  plus to add to ebays fall in grace the mess of many peoples accounts being hacked earlier this year many buyers have not returned because they no longer trust the site.

ebay has placed the final nail in its own coffin from not listening to sellers needs & continued to fail to see the direction they pushed was not the right diriction that was needed.  

Message 13 of 40
Latest reply

Your post reminded me....

Some time ago I was looking at purchasing a wall safe that looked like a double PP.  $29.95 from Aussie sellers (including free post). After doing some googling I found a retail store that sold the exact same thing for $9.95.  The retail store was still going to make a profit from the sale...but how much profit were the Aussie sellers intending to make!!!  And I can state categorically that postage included would have been $7.20 (well under 500g weight).  

So realistically those sellers should have been asking a maximum of $17.15, not $29.95

The word 'profiteering' springs to mind, and could explain why a lot of buyers are now going elsewhere.

Message 14 of 40
Latest reply

That's assuming that the Aussie Sellers are able to purchase at the same wholesale price as the retail store (which is unlikley as the big boys would almost certainly have a much larger bulk purchase discount, especially if they are part of a nationwide chain with central buying power).  It's not fair to condemn sellers for "profiteering" when you have no way of knowing their individual situation regarding bargaining power, overheads etc.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 15 of 40
Latest reply

I probably should have included that the Aussie sellers had upteen in stock, whilst the small retailer (definitely not one of the big boys) that I went to actually had only two.  

Plus, the items were imported from China - for both the sellers and retailer mentioned (as said, identical item).  

I really can't see the eBay sellers having to pay an additional $12.80 per plastic item.  In fact they could have bought (and possibly did)  their stock from the Chinese sellers on eBay for a nominal sum, which also included free postage.

But I do take your point on buying power, etc. for the big boys - that's a given.

Message 16 of 40
Latest reply

@pennyforum14 wrote:

That's assuming that the Aussie Sellers are able to purchase at the same wholesale price as the retail store (which is unlikley as the big boys would almost certainly have a much larger bulk purchase discount, especially if they are part of a nationwide chain with central buying power).  It's not fair to condemn sellers for "profiteering" when you have no way of knowing their individual situation regarding bargaining power, overheads etc.

From a buyers prospective though which one are they going to buy? -  the $29 (incl $8? shipping) one or the cheaper one for $9.95? Same product, same quality?

No point in a seller/retailer setting a price that they can make a profit on, if that price is a lot higher than their competitors selling the same item.

Message 17 of 40
Latest reply

Having lived outside metropolitan areas for many years, I would have to disagree on this point.  Price is not always the first consideration for a buyer.  If you can't buy locally, or have to go a considerable distance out of your way to buy from a particular retailer, it may well be worth paying more for the item.  Also many buyers are averse to buying from overseas sellers, even if they are dirt cheap, purely because of the added cost and logistics involved if something goes wrong.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 18 of 40
Latest reply

You are very wrong about buyers being averse to purchasing from overseas.. ask AP how many parcels flow into Australia now from online shopping.

Heard of ASOS & Iconic? (clothes, shoes)... those are very popular especially with younger buyers, overseas companies.  One of them has free postage and free return. The other you pay for the return but to a NSW address. Urban Outfitters  (US) is another popular one, free post if payment by Paypal. Items can be returned for change of mind, not the right size.... any item not received is dealt with appropriately and promptly.

I have a young person living in my house.. parcels flow in frequently.. none from ebay, most from oseas. She wanted to buy somethng the other day from an Aust seller but  the postage charge was $6 ( which I told her was resonable) but she is used to free postage from these other places.

She did buy it  later as that site had a free postage offer.

As I posted above I have bought from an Aust website.. Item comes from US suppliers.. no email, no tracking, item turns up in a month approx.. $10 less than on here, for a lower value item.

Message 19 of 40
Latest reply