what can I do to offer ebay plus to customers

Anonymous
Not applicable

ebay plus is a great concept, however my top compeditors are all ebay plus "certified' which makes it difficult to attaract customers, especially if they (Or I as the seller) need to pay $7.55 postage on a $12 item. How do I get on the ebay plus wagon?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

eBay plus - https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/SU18-2/eBay-Plus

But once you opt into eBay plus, you cannot opt out.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You do realise that ebay only pays the postage for the buyer.  As the seller you will still have to pay any postage needed to get the item to your buyer.

As I understand it, ebay decides which sellers and items can offer ebay plus.  It is not up to the seller.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I have heard far more bad things than good about eBay Plus

Might be a great concept for some, but personally I would'nt want to be part of it

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I believe you need to:

Bump up your item price to include postage cost - and then offer free post (please don't laugh)

Offer a handling time of 1 business day or better, and

Offer 30 day returns

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

If the item price is under $15, plus postage, ebay seem to not apply Plus. If it's free post they usually will. If the item price is over $15, plus postage, it has a much better chance of qualifying for Plus.

The 30 day returns is necessary but I have a 2 day handling time and all my items over $15 have Plus on them.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

You do realise that ebay only pays the postage for the buyer.  As the seller you will still have to pay any postage needed to get the item to your buyer.

As I understand it, ebay decides which sellers and items can offer ebay plus.  It is not up to the seller.

That's what I thought, unless they changed it.  There are certain conditions you have to fulfill before they'll put it on your listings and I believe offering change of mind returns is one of them.

It's been said in the forums that they won't put Plus on any items with separate postage if the price is under $15, but they'll put it on cheaper listings if they have free postage.

*too slow.  I started typing this half an hour ago and then went for a walk to the PO in the beautiful autumn sunshine.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I have ebay plus on most items but not all, which is ebay's choice. I did not choose to be part of the program and am unable to opt out. I tried.

I do apply postage to all my items. If an ebay plus member purchases that item, ebay has picked up the postage, thus far,as per their public announcement at the time. For how long, I don't know. It costs them, but then, isn't that the point of the Plus membership fees?

Having said that, there have been only two Plus customers in the past year.

There was a very solid push by ebay for my business to offer 'free postage' because then the Plus customer is actually paying postage. What point is the Plus membership then?

I prefer to have the lower price and have ebay pick up the postage tab.

The addition of postage costs to the item, so it is 'free postage', distorts prices, particularly for international customers and makes offering combined postage difficult.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I think one of the main benefits for buyers and sellers is that ebay pays the return postage (if it's needed). At least that's what I remember from reading up on it when it first came in.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply