what percentage do others take selling clothes for other people ?

Hi People of EBay,

I have been selling clothes and many other items for friends & friends of friends for quite a few years now.

Currently I take 50% + ebay fees from each sale.

As every item is different I spend a fair bit of time researching the brand, photographing and measuring. Also sometimes having to launder items to make them sellable, and of course store them in my home, which takes up space.

It's a fair bit of work, which I generally enjoy.

Recently a lady I know, lets call her Daisy brought me 20 good items to sell,

having previously discussed fees with her.

Today I confirm my fees, and Daisy messages me saying she's "disappointed and was under the impression it was a flat 50%"

I have already started listing her items, and feel slightly undervalued.

I pay ebay fees on postage + final sale price.

Should I return all her items, and stick with the people who are just happy to earn some extra cash ?

What do other people do ?

cheers

m

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: what percentage do others take selling clothes for other people ?

thank you for your helpful comment

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Have I missed something? o_O 

The OP just said this person has stated they're basically disappointed they're not going to get as much of a cut as they thought they would... Most people would be when they realise they misunderstood and their cut is lower than they thought. Smiley LOL Maybe it was a little tactless to say it like that, but unless there's more to the story and they've indicated they're unhappy, don't feel like it's worth it, or that it's too much for the person doing the work (eg by saying something like "I wouldn't have agreed to do this if I knew that" and so on), I don't even see why this is a "what a demanding / ignorant / entitled / [whatever insult] person" kind of situation that's causing an entire rethink of the business relationship.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

I was most interested in stawka's link. It gave the example of 30% plus fees as a commission.

So asking 50% plus fees is pretty 'up there' although for the work involved with clothes, probably fair enough.

The link did suggest putting the terms in writing before you start the sales process + I think that is a good idea.

"Daisy" has not said she wants you to return the goods to her or pull the ads, all she has said is she was disappointed. I am thinking she will probably want you to still sell the things, it is just the whole process has left her with a bit of  underlying resentment, if we're honest.

If she had already had a sheet from you with the terms, you would avoid this situation or at least the fault would be clearly in the client's court. As it is, she is thinking you didn't make it crystal clear.

All you can do is ask her if she is still happy to proceed or does she want you to pull the ads.

I can't help thinking that you are in a bit of a high risk area. I can appreciate how much work it is for you with each listing.

But what if things go wrong? What if a buyer makes a successful item not as described claim? From what I have read, there have been situaions where buyers have had refunds without even returning goods.

There are other situations where an item may not be received.

If I were a client, I would not be expecting to pay anything in either of those scenarios. If a buyer won a 'not as described' claim, I think most clients would be saying the lister had to take responsibility for that, that is what they were being paid for. So I can see the potential for you to be out of pocket on some transactions.

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

The one thing I would not be doing is readying the items for sale.

You wash and iron the clothes ? Surely the owners of said clothes should be doing that or getting a family member or friend to do it if they are unable to, and presenting them to you in a sellable condition.

Just my opinion, but it would certainly free up some time for you.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

Good question.

I've been asked by friends to sell for them and I've thought about it and said, nah. As you suggest there is an awful lot of work involved if you're doing it properly.   I don't think 50% of net would be enough as far as I'm concerned.  But it could depend on how expensive the item is.  You largely put in the same effort on something which you sell for $40 as for $100.  So perhaps get a bit selective about what you are prepared to sell on behalf of this person - only the high-end stuff, and concede a little on your commission.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Oh wow! 50% commission! lol

I've sold maybe 50 clothing items over the years for a neighbour, and just took 20% and paid her the rest (obviously after fees etc).

One of my best friends gave me 5 items of clothing and I don't take any commission! lol. That's my choice though, and if it were more than just a few items, I would.

A friend of a friend gave me about 20 items. She has no idea what commission is normal. I don't like her and my friend is also no longer friends with her. 50% sounds good to me! HEH!
Message 26 of 26
Latest reply