who agrees with me? no negative feedback until a buyer contacts the seller!

rmsimmons2009
Community Member
I have a theory, and I just wanted to know who agrees and who does not! I was recently left negative feedback from a buyer who claims the dress she bought from me was stained. I know it wasn't, but that's beside the point.the buyer was incredibly rude, called me a liar and a scammer, and that I should be ashamed to sell on Ebay. She never contacted me at all regarding her issue with the dress, and if she had of,I would have cheerily refunded her and let her keep the dress. She just left me feedback, which wasn't particularly nice (negative feedback usually isn't,I know!) I want to know why Ebay hasn't made it so a buyer cannot leave negative feedback unless they contact the seller FIRST to resolve the issue. The seller could offer a refund or an exchange. If they ignore the buyer or refuse to help, then negative feedback can be left. if they come to a happy conclusion, then neutral or positive can then be left, keeping both parties happy. I no longer want to sell on Ebay, and I know people who have shut down their Ebay accounts all together due to one buyer ruining their feedback because they were too thoughtless to contact the seller first. When feedback is ruined, buyers are not going to want to go near you. I tend to avoid Sellers with really bad feedback, but I check to see what was written first. I know that Ebay would be non existent without buyers, but it's the seller that gives them something to buy in the first place!
Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Hi RM, I am a buyer only on ebay - have been for a number of years. I totally agree with you that it is only right that a buyer contact the seller first before leaving neg feedback and yes there should be something in place so that the buyer cannot just trash your feedback when all good, honest sellers would be willing, like yourself, to try to come to some amicable agreement. It must be very disheartening. Don't know if you can have the neg removed by ebay somehow - there are some very experienced sellers on the boards who can advise you about that. In the meantime all the best to you and hope you come out on top in the end.

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

I agree 100% - a buyer should attempt to contact a seller at least once before being able to leave anything less than positive fb.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

banf15
Community Member

I think your suggestion is fair and in the past have done exactly that. I've found some sellers to be very nice & helpfully who couldn't do enough to help you but on the other hand have encountered others who are rude, arrogant, & entitled as though they were doing you a favor.

Words like scammer, liar, etc tend to come quickly to buyers who have been burnt before. They jump to conclusions and assume the worst. Since using eBay as an alternative source to acquire specific items I lost $600 in Dec from scammers & am facing a further potential loss of $1000 this Jan ( with Paypal ). My eBay experience has not been a good one and will think long and hard before ever using it again.

Don't take words like scammer or liar to heart when you know your not, it's probably that the other person has suffered a loss before.

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

I agree 100%, the system should not allow a buyer to leave negative or neutral feedback until they have at least contacted the seller once. 

A lot of buyers aren't even aware that most sellers are happy to assist them for a positive outcome.

The current system is ridiculous, and causes unnecessary stress for all!  It shows no intelligent foresight to assist ebayers to reconcile any problems.

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

While on the first glance it sounds very reasonable to expect the buyer to have to contact seller first, it really would not make any difference what so ever.  Like in the case OP gave; so, the buyer would have sent a message before leaving FB, so she would, saying the dress is carp, I have wasted my money, i needed to wear it for an occasion and now I have to go out and find something else; the reason I bought on line is because I am busy and did not want to have to shopping ... etc.  Then she would NEG you.

Sometimes, the seller just cannot undo what has been done by sending something that makes the buyer unhappy. 

Sometimes it is easy to overlook something on an item.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

If they want to neg you they are going to neg you, regardless of whether they contact you or whether you fix the problem.

Even if it's a simple thing like checking if the item is sitting at the buyer's PO awaiting collection.

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

I have always understood that contact needs to be made before a neg can be done. You need to tick that box before you can proceed.

But I guess if the system doesn't check, members are simply ticking the box even if no contact has been made.

image host
Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

I see no point in contacting the seller if there is a problem with the packaging of an item, what good is it after the event?

Neg them for their shoddiness and maybe they will learn a lesson.

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

I agree 100% with the original poster.

It is NOT inevitable that you will get a neg if someone contacts you with a problem. Provided it is handled professionally and fairly (and helpfully) then most buyers will respond positively - obviously some won't, but its the knee jerk reactions that are the worst!

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply