why do people have to be so rude

I just received my first neg in 12 months, buyer purchased an item of which for the life of me I could not find in my stock and so naturally I contacted the buyer on several occasions offered her another colour at a reduced price and stil no contact so promptly refunded

that was several weeks ago and now I get a neg

my reply

very nasty over honest mistake, offered other colour no contact promptly refunded

would it have hurt for the buyer to have the decency to at least have contacted me

all this over 24.95 ... sorry but I have a better grip on reality 

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

If I had the same item in a different colour I would probably have sent that and have given a full refund with a note in the parcel saying I hope the free item will make up in some way for their disappointment.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

I will accept anything for free that you are willing to send to me PJ

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

I had this happen once .... contacted eBay .... they advised me to contact buyer and ask for feedback to be retracted ...

NO !!!!   I received a reply (didn't get one before) stating that I was "bullying" her, and that I was meant to learn from her feedback !!!!!!!

I sometimes wonder why we try Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

Ditto, if you muck up then it is a less than positive experience for buyer, unless there is a positive compensation for waste of time and expectation.

Similarly if I find a small flaw post sale and the item is still potentially useable I will refund and sent the item for free as compensation.

Just refunding item, or a wrong item at same price, is still on balance a negative experience.

Once you make a mistake you are in damage control.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

geez its not like I killed her cat lol I simply could not send the item in the chosen colour, maybe it is just me but I dont think I would get that upset over an item of clothing ... could not see the likes of the chain stores offering free items plus a refund for an out of inventory stocking error

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

@rachelle011273 wrote:

geez its not like I killed her cat lol I simply could not send the item in the chosen colour, maybe it is just me but I dont think I would get that upset over an item of clothing ... could not see the likes of the chain stores offering free items plus a refund for an out of inventory stocking error

True, but there's a slight difference, still. The B&M scenario, you go in, look or ask for an item, get told it's not in stock, and maybe get offered a raincheck if it was on sale. 

To translate the eBay scenario to B&M, it would be as though the customer takes the item up to the checkout, pays for it, but then the checkout operator says they can't bag it and let them take it home because it's out of stock. 

Timing is everything there, despite the end result being the same.

I still think a little communication from your buyer was in order, a response to your messages at least (if stuff like this happens to me, I always let them know the options I can offer, then say that if they have any questions, concerns or would like to discuss an alternative option, to please get in touch and I'll respond ASAP). 

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

Seriously you and PJ are very good sellers IMO for wanting to do that,my partner purchased an item off a seller and the seller sent the wrong item,this item had a refund policy guaranteed with it so the seller was contacted first and explained the problem,the seller said return the item for a full refund so the item was returned,seller received item the next day,this was over 2 weeks ago and so far no refund has been issued.Had to open a dispute through PayPal,have to wait around 30 days for a decision from PayPal.So this seller has now got the item and the money and has refused to give a refund so where is the justice in that? 

This is a very dishonest seller and a very rude one at that and ebay don't give a hoot.Where is the money back guarantee ebay/PayPal? 

Tracking # was provided to PayPal as proof but they are very slow to respond,how rude!

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

"I'm afraid this is the new breed of eBay buyer. Selfish beyond belief and no consideration for anybody but themselves. "

The "ME / NOW" Generation, - that spans all ages !!!

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

What a lot of buyers don't realise, is that we are not all businesses.  I am not a business seller, and rarely have multiples of items, yet people often ask me if I have 'another one' of something (which is not an issue I just explain that no I don't).

What I'm getting at is, that they just don't allow for the fact that sometimes (yes even businesses but private people are my focus here) we are just human and occasionally make a mistake.  If I do, I am always honest about it, make contact as soon as I realise it (as you have done) and try to make amends.  I think the assumption that we are all businesses is whare the rudeness comes from a lot of the time, but I have no idea how we are supposed to change that mentality.  And sometimes, the person on the other end of the keyboard is just a plain old Ahole.

*sigh*

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

@rachelle011273 wrote:
it was not expected, it was simply offered another colour at a reduced price or a refund ...

I think that your offer was a very reasonable one, along with the apology.  You weren't forcing the buyer to accept something they didn't want, you were offering them an alternative which they were free to reject.  I think you did the right thing.

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply