why do people have to be so rude

I just received my first neg in 12 months, buyer purchased an item of which for the life of me I could not find in my stock and so naturally I contacted the buyer on several occasions offered her another colour at a reduced price and stil no contact so promptly refunded

that was several weeks ago and now I get a neg

my reply

very nasty over honest mistake, offered other colour no contact promptly refunded

would it have hurt for the buyer to have the decency to at least have contacted me

all this over 24.95 ... sorry but I have a better grip on reality 

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

@rachelle011273 wrote:

geez its not like I killed her cat lol I simply could not send the item in the chosen colour, maybe it is just me but I dont think I would get that upset over an item of clothing ... could not see the likes of the chain stores offering free items plus a refund for an out of inventory stocking error

Rachelle.... now if you had killed her cat... I may not be so supportive LMFAO

(Old cat lady in the making here) pmsl.

Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

don't worry Garfield is quite safe from the likes of me lol
Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

Could not see the likes of the chain stores offering free items plus a refund for an out of inventory stocking error.

They are pretty good actually with being able to supply the stock as advertised.

Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

The offer of same item, different colour was useless to the buyer.  It doesn't alter the fact the item they bought is not available, they won't be geting it and they are dissapointed about that...and are expressing that dissapointment.

The feedback they left might put future potential buyers off buying from you if they think the items listed might not be in stock. 

Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

The offer of same item, different colour was useless to the buyer.  It doesn't alter the fact the item they bought is not available, they won't be geting it and they are dissapointed about that...and are expressing that dissapointment.

The feedback they left might put future potential buyers off buying from you if they think the items listed might not be in stock. 

Fair cop, I'm pretty sure the seller has a full understanding of the situation by now, and I doubt the offer went "I can send you a different colour widget instead, it's just as good, so be happy", my guess was it went more like "if it would be suitable or acceptable, I can substitute with a different colour widget". 

In other words, I don't get the impression from the OP that they expected the buyer to be ok or more than satisfied with the different colour and/or not disappointed by not being able to supply the one they ordered - most sellers list different colours of things because they're aware buyers have their own preferences and select colours according to them  😉 .

I think the primary issue for the seller is that the buyer didn't respond - the seller made an attempt to resolve as best they could, which apparently went ignored - just speaking personally, I would find that kind of response to be more appropriate when the seller simply refunds without warning or explanation weeks after the purchase. 

Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

Doesn't matter what you should or shouldn't have to do. the fact is once a buyer is inconvenienced, it is a negative buying experience and you are at risk of poor feedback. You can either just accept it as one of those things, or go into damage control.

99.9% of buyers are pretty understanding. In B & M stores you often see disgruntled customers making a scene. Ask anyone who has to man teh customers returns desk. The only difference is Ebay allows them to leave permanent visible feedback. This is the only way buyers can have any way of having confidence in unseen sellers. It is the price we have to pay for the convenience of being able to sell virtually anoymously sight unseen.

When dealing with the general public you have to deal with all sorts of people, some with personality disorders who constantly act with a sense of entitlement, or like they get out of the wrong side of the bed everyday. The sane and the crazy

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

Agree with Am .... and for those in the know including Am, its kinda totally weird that I do agree with Am.

But nonetheless I do, another color offering for those goods is not a satisfactory alternative, regardless of discounts etc etc.

If  I sold something that I do not have in stock or did not meet the exact description of goods purchased, I would just wear any negative feedback, buyer angst or defect without complaint - I would see it as mea culpa. 

I would (and have in the past on a few occassions when I have an error that means the goods I can send do not meet listing description and purchase of buyer) give a full refund and offer some form of free stock as amends to try and ease the buyers disappointment, demonstrate that I take responsibility for my error and hopefully (but necessarily and not prime motivation) minimise any damage that may effect my selling account that occured through my own error .  

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

All I'm saying is that without any input from the buyer, the seller has little with which to gauge what would be appropriate compensation. If another colour wouldn't have made a difference, there'd be no need to message the buyer and ask if it would be ok, and just sending it along won't necessarily do anything - sometimes it can make it worse (they're few and far between, but every now and then you will find a buyer who resents these kinds of actions because they feel bribed). 

I'm not saying that the buyer had no right to be disappointed or frustrated by the experience, just that throwing freebies and refunds at the buyer when there's no communication to gauge what the buyer's preference might be is a knee-jerk reaction that can backfire.

In other words...

Seller: How would you like to proceed?

Buyer: .........

Seller: ???? (left to their own devices, and chooses an action on behalf of the buyer - they don't deserve flak for that, regardless of whether anyone thinks the feedback is justified.

Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

At least OP was honest to not attempt the "lost in post" get out of jail trick, followed by a quick refund to attempt to impress the buyer. You would be surprised how many sellers do this. I suspect one has just done it to me. Cant prove it but lost in post reasons appear in the neuts and negs they have received. I am sure there are others that past without comment. They are stock items that I am guessing were just out of stock (B & M store)

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

All I'm saying is that without any input from the buyer, the seller has little with which to gauge what would be appropriate compensation. If another colour wouldn't have made a difference, there'd be no need to message the buyer and ask if it would be ok, and just sending it along won't necessarily do anything - sometimes it can make it worse (they're few and far between, but every now and then you will find a buyer who resents these kinds of actions because they feel bribed). 

I'm not saying that the buyer had no right to be disappointed or frustrated by the experience, just that throwing freebies and refunds at the buyer when there's no communication to gauge what the buyer's preference might be is a knee-jerk reaction that can backfire.

In other words...

Seller: How would you like to proceed?

Buyer: .........

Seller: ???? (left to their own devices, and chooses an action on behalf of the buyer - they don't deserve flak for that, regardless of whether anyone thinks the feedback is justified.

Yup, I agree with your sentiments.

Nonetheless, when i stuff up I do not lament how rude people even if they are most hideous and horrible cause I stuffed up and they are bigtime  PO - I move into damage control - as I am fairly sure you do too.

A seller stuff up ... is a seller stuff up afterall.    Out of stock will generate some buyers wrath - B&M or internet, where ever.

IMO use the experience to improve your stock control in the future, and to hone your buyer placating skills OR wear it. 

Message 30 of 37
Latest reply