Book Fairs, Library Sales - Dates & Times

Let's continue the great thread from the 'old' boards and share information about Library Sales, Book Fairs
Message 1 of 1,392
Latest reply
1,391 REPLIES 1,391

Hi Sqauk and Richo...I got to Yarragon on Sunday.  First timer; much bigger than I expected.  Echo your comments, they are very helpful there.  Always prefer fairs where they separate the h/c from the p/b like that.  They were quick to replace books, but strict on people not raiding the boxes under the tables...saw one person get told off!  Not sorted alphabetically but they clumped authors together in a lot of spots.  Found a couple of favourite authors in small paperbacks "clumped" like that.  I prefer to pay by eftpos but can appreciate this isn't always feasible.  The $5 bags are a bargain if you're after those books. I mainly buy h/c fiction so at $2.50 each it added up, so for me it wasn't as cheap as some fairs about.  However the range was terrific and the books mainly good quality.  The biggest Victorian fair outside of Geelong I think, but better quality books overall (quite a few library books at Geelong).  Credit to the organisers getting that many books together in such a small town.  They were certainly selling a lot so I'm hopeful there will be a lot of new and different books next year.

Thanks for being first on the blog Sqauk.  Appears you'll get an email every time I update it so I'll have to think long and hard before I do, as the first time I went back and edited the thing heaps.  Eventually I'll get some links working, so hopefully you'll find it useful.

Cheers, Pete.

bookfairsblog.wordpress.com

Message 1351 of 1,392
Latest reply

Just a note to say I've created an open group on Facebook for book fairs.  Between that and the blog hopefully we can keep track of them all.  

"book fairs australia" in the search box should get you there.  Look for Teddy Hopkins.

Will list Victoria August soon, and get to work on the other states as well.

Message 1352 of 1,392
Latest reply

very grateful for your sons helpful finds for Denis, approx. 70% have sold so we might have to employ him to find us some more treasures.

Back from Thailand and the world's largest market - Chattachak. about 30-40 book stalls with great English non-fiction books. too heavy for me though, think I'd need a container to get the books home I really like.

Message 1353 of 1,392
Latest reply

Have listed the book fairs for August in Victoria at

facebook "book fairs australia"

Might check out Abbotsford Convent and Melb Uni on Sunday if I can find a friend  ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1354 of 1,392
Latest reply

Abbostford Convent was a reasonable sized fair.  About 60% fiction.  All fiction was priced at $3 from tiny p/b to new h/c.  n/f priced as marked and was a bit dearer.  So not super cheap, especially the p/b.  I did buy a few h/c as it was a bit of an eclectic range.  Very big on vinyl records, had thousands at $2.  Also quite a lot of CD's and DVD's.  Their next similar fair is at the end of October.

First visit to Abbotsford Convent, and was very impressed.  You can spend a few hours here exploring the convent and surrounds, and having lunch in one of the cafes and bars.  "lentil as anything" is a non-profit, mostly vegan restaurant where you pay by donation.  Children's farm is also right next door.

I think they were having a lend at the rare book fair...op shop books at ridiculous prices.  Never again.

facebook "book fairs australia"

Message 1355 of 1,392
Latest reply

Listed book fairs for August non-victorian at

Facebook "bookfairsaustralia"

Mainly NSW, with two of them starting today (28/7) and tomorrow.

Message 1356 of 1,392
Latest reply

Looks like Latrobe FOL is on again at Kernot Hall, Morwell in October Sqauks.  Really liked this one last year.

Message 1357 of 1,392
Latest reply

Hi all,  Got the dates for Perth's biggest booksale.  Save the Children at the university of WA friday 19th August until, wednesday 23 August.  You will need to be aware, they have changed the starting time to 2 hours earlier, so now starting at 3pm on the friday, finishing at 9pm. Saturday 6am-5pm, sunday 8-5 monday 9.30-6pm tuesday 9.30-8pm, wednesday 9.30-3pm.  See all the usual people there.

Jane

Message 1358 of 1,392
Latest reply

Hi all, 

there was a Lions Club book fair in Melbourne suburb of Glen waverley last weekend. I think this book fair is held twice a year.

I dropped in on Sunday morning, the books were well picked over by then, but I manged to buy 10 books. Very tidy and well organised, one room of non fiction, grouped by subject; 2 rooms of fiction, alphabetical. $3.50 for hardbacks; pbs small $1, medium $2.50. lge $3.50 - but tended to charge at least $2.50 for anything. Probably worth while if you can be there when it opens  ( I couldn't)

I was told some of the left over books are  moved onto Yarragon book fair.

Sat 6 and Sun 7th August 2016, Wheelers Hill Lions Club Black Flat Community Centre, corner of Springvale and Waverley Roads, Glen Waverley. You can request to be put on their contact list and they'll email the dates each year.  wheelershilllions@gmail.com

cheers,

Prue

Message 1359 of 1,392
Latest reply

Hi Prue,

I went Saturday about mid day.  They are a tiny bit dear but pretty much all in good condition.  Easy to get around quickly too as they have them laid out with the title and author on the spine facing you the right way up; pity none of the other fairs set up like this.  My email arrived two weeks before the fair, so worth signing up.

Cheers, Peter.

fb  "book fairs australia"

Message 1360 of 1,392
Latest reply