Book selling, B&M vs Market vs Online vs Digital

eBay may be close to rolling out changes to its fee structure and, in a survey conducted last week, asked sellers if they would prefer a free-listing model in which they would pay higher commission fees when their items sold.

I think this will put millions more items on the site if it occurs.

Personally I haven't sold a thing online so I can't comment on this, as for local markets, they're still a great source to fill the holes up on the shelves and the shop is still pulling $2k+ a week even though some of my better customers have now got kindles and ipads, they still like to get a copy of a book they like. Sometimes they read a little on their electronic devices before choosing to buy the printed version.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

They didn't ask me. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Glad the shop's doing well. It never occurred to me that people would use e-readers to vet books before buying a real one. There's hope for us yet.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

That was from a site I get emails from Pete just informing me about US online selling - "Ina Steiner" so it may not happen in Aus ebay as yet.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

In a word no.I seriously do not belive the extra final value fee will be less or the same as 5c

Dave

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

similar to the way some other sites do it

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I'm still buying my odd $100+ off market dealers in Melb. so they mkust still be selling well in them.

There was a booksellers forrum in Sydney somewhere last week that reccons book sales are stronger than they've ever been, that ebooks are around 5% of total book sales and so on...

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

"There was a booksellers forrum in Sydney somewhere last week that reccons book sales are stronger than they've ever been, that ebooks are around 5% of total book sales and so on..."

Maybe some people are forgoing more expensive outings and are staying home to save money.  Reading is a cheaper alternative than many other activities. 

You could spend the equivalent amount for a book as a movie ticket and get many more hours of enjoyment for the price. 

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

"....that ebooks are around 5% of total book sales and so on..."

Can you clarify that statement, Rama?

Does it mean that ebook sales are 5% of the sales made in physical bookstores, or 5% of total book sales?

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Yes, in the US, eBook sales are around 15% of total trade sales, 26% of fiction sales. Growth has slowed, but is still expected to reach 50% within five years. An increasing amount of print sales are happening online โ€“ possibly as much as 30% already โ€“ so the digital space for publicity and marketing is becoming increasingly important. The uptake of ereaders and tablets has doubled in the last six months and 30% of US adults currently own an ereading device.

http://digitalpublishingaustralia.org.au/2012/04/10/an-australian-perspective-on-digital-book-world-2012/

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply