Who is ebaying today?

I thought I'd get this thread up again.:-)

I've had enough excitement here for one day and am off to find my zzz's.

Good thing the weekend is coming up so we can play with all this new stuff.

Mon
~ Mon ~
Message 1 of 6,626
Latest reply
6,625 REPLIES 6,625

Re: Who is ebaying today?

on tv the other week a guy was talking about the wildlife we would have lost during the qld floods

he said you would have seen herds of animals just up and leave before it happened so not as many would have been lost.

so the wildlife know whats happening

true judy, I have gums and heaps of other trees at the back of my yard, generally full of birds in the evenings, theyve been missing the last few days
Message 6041 of 6,626
Latest reply

Judy, Nicola is well south, they will probably get a whack of rain though, which that area doesn't need. Always the south of a cyclone's eye receive the most rain.

I've done everything I can now, just waiting. Winds are really picking up now, but the birds are still here. I usually start to really worry when the birds go.

Thanks Carla - hope you are all ready ๐Ÿ˜ž I have been streaming the news all day on my computer as I have been working ๐Ÿ˜ž We still have soo many friends on the Tablelands from when we lived there.

Please take all care (as I am sure you will based on previous experience.)

Judy - thanks for the thoughts - we are safe and dry - far enough south that hopefully we shouldn't get anything except the odd drop of rain.
Message 6042 of 6,626
Latest reply

Carla has posted on Facebook that she and her family are fine. tired, but safe and sound. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 6043 of 6,626
Latest reply

Thanks for letting us know, Kel. Scary that it was happening in the middle of the night.
Message 6044 of 6,626
Latest reply

Carla posted the facebook message from her phone, so am guessing that there is no power & so no computer. Great that she is OK - big relief to all on the board. Hugs to Carla & her family.
Message 6045 of 6,626
Latest reply

On a bright note - mission is almost complete - 28 bottles of wine were decanted and bottled tonight. Images here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=41313&id=143852905636364&saved#!/photos.php?id=143852905636364
Message 6046 of 6,626
Latest reply

Thanks everyone for thinking of me! I seem to be in one disaster after another lately - first floods in Townsville at Christmas and now a cyclone. Here's my little story and all I can say is we were lucky up here on the Tablelands.

All afternoon the winds started building and by about 8pm they had really picked up. The last time I went outside was about 10pm just to doublecheck the bookshed was secure and remove a gate (that comes off the house near the office door) as it was starting to bang. Luckily I had the electric screwdriver inside with me.

From then on the wind got worse. The girls had gone to bed at the usual time and both were sound asleep by 8.30pm, so that was one less thing to worry about. By 10pm my front door was starting to rattle and rain was blowing in underneath the door, put the door snake down, then a towel then a plastic picnic rug and pushed the couch up against the door. Felt a bit more secure after that as I was worried the door was going to blow in. Note for next cyclone - board the front door, as I did have the same troubles with Cyclone Larry but had forgotten until it happened again.

The power finally went at about 11.30pm and from then I only had the radio and candles and the wind was howling by this stage. Something hit my roof - massive bang but it continued on - something also hit my neighbours roof around the same time, so I guess someone's little garden shed was falling apart.

As we didn't have the eye cross us, there was no break in the wind. The wind shifted at 1am and came from the other direction. Miss 4 woke at 4am and I decided to go to bed at that stage, if not to sleep then at least to lay down, so I took her into bed with me. Finally dropped off to sleep around 5.30am when the winds were dropping again and back to bad storm conditions. Was woken at 6.30am by Miss 6, so had a great hours sleep! Nice to see the daylight though and be able to survey the damage.

Loss is only one large tree, which I spent Thursday afternoon clearing - running on adreneline by that stage as I was so tired. The garden is pretty "windswept" and will need some tidying over the week or so. Power came back on last night just after 6pm and the phone was back this morning.

So - happy to be safe and well with no great damage. The girls and I are fine and it's back to normal for Malanda residents on Monday.

Now I just hope the people who live in Mission Beach, Tully and Cardwell and all the towns inbetween can get back to normal as soon as possible. Apparenlty 4,000 army troops are on their way, and some SES crews are already in place.
Message 6047 of 6,626
Latest reply

So glad you're all okay, Carla. Thanks for the update. Sounds scary.
Message 6048 of 6,626
Latest reply

Thanks for the update, Carla. I'm glad you were all safe, and amazed at what deep sleepers your girls are! ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 6049 of 6,626
Latest reply

Great to hear what you went through Carla and that you escaped any real damage. Still very scary, especially with two children to care for and no one to assist you. I hate wind, even when we have storms down here in Sydney. I listen and wonder what destruction is happening outside. Worse at night of course. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

On a brighter note!!!!
Photobucket
~ Mon ~
Message 6050 of 6,626
Latest reply