selling Used Books

Hi Wise Ones

I need to clean out my book shelves. I have 100s of books.

I’ve never had much luck with book selling on Ebay and as I price my books low, once Ebay take out fees, it seems pointless.

I have tried Gumtree and had more success here than on Ebay (slightly).

Does anyone have suggestions for other places to sell?

I have seen posters mention Facebook, does this mean setting up a dedicated bookseller page on Facebook?

Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

selling Used Books

go-tazz
Community Member

@foundationstation wrote:

I have seen posters mention Facebook, does this mean setting up a dedicated bookseller page on Facebook?

No,you can either join buy,swap or sell sites that are in your area (by using the town or area in the search

and have items as pickup).

Or they also have Marketplace which is Australia wide for items that you will/can post.

You fill out individual adds for each one and can then decide the sites/places you want it to appear.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

selling Used Books

I notice, given you claim you are getting rid of household books, that your prices certainly won't result in you making a loss. Or even be nett zero.

Any of your $8 books with $13 postage will incur around $2.30 in eBay fees and $0.84 in Paypal fees. 3kg eBay postage is $13.06-$13.20, so there is a bit of return for effort in there.

Your $7 books a bit less, your $20+ books significantly more.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

selling Used Books

I wish I had sold off my books i ended up having to take about 800 books to the tip. As I had to help my father who had rapidly increasing dementia move to Australia. I tried giving some away to the salvation army but they did not want them.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

selling Used Books

That was my thought that charities didn't want books. 

I've had people in to help me declutter and I've given them a lot of books I no longer want....which they have assured me will go to their local op shop who can sell them.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the shop gets them.  They are all in great condition but I wonder if the subjects are saleable.  Oh well.  I've still got (too many) books I'll be keeping. 🙂

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

selling Used Books

I get most of my books from charities.

If the books are in decent condition, Lifeline certainly won't reject them.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply