Check out as Guest forces you to login to buy

Sometimes on occasion when checking out as a guest, i'm unable to bypass the verification screen...  I get it all correct, but the page request sends to eBay servers, yet never returns, so it get stuck. Waited a few minutes or so.. and only happens on check out/verifyy page as below... all other pages are ok.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 8.21.34 am.png

I've tried Private Browsing/Incognito Mode on (Chrome), non-private browsing/different browsers, and platforms (Mac/Windows) and same thing..

This forces me to sign to eBay account and eBay says "Thats a solution" but there are times i don't want to assosiate my buying with an eBay account..

The mysterious thing is,, is "stickyness" clears up after some time (3 hours or so), so if i come back after this time i check out as a guest again, it goes through just fine.

This is ok, but only temporary as it happens again.... The timeframe is usually every week or so, but it stats to become really annoying when it does happen..

eBay suggest s it it customers side, which is false, as that wouldn't add up to why its ok other times (on the same platform and browser the issue happened). If it just "just a hiccup" then there are lots of these (coincidentally every week or so) and it only happens with eBay.,.. No other website when i buy,, so it seems isolated.. Is there any info i can use here (Traceroute etc...? to prove)?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Also, to point out when the issue happens i try mobile connection  (over cellular provider) so i do not use same connection to troubleshoot, but same thing happens

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

use a computer, if you can....the app has never worked properly

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I'm not using the app

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I still have no idea how someone purchases as a guest. If I'm not logged in, I can't purchase without logging in. Doesn't matter if it's on a computer or the app.

I also don't understand why someone with an account would purchase as a guest. If something goes pear shaped, it's really difficult to get it sorted. If you are buying things of a sensitive nature as a guest, because you don't want family or whoever to see it in your account, create a new account just for those items. Then you get full buyer protection without all the hassle of being a guest. You just need a different email address which are very easy to get these days. No one needs to know about the other account.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I still have no idea how someone purchases as a guest. If I'm not logged in, I can't purchase without logging in. Doesn't matter if it's on a computer or the app.

If you are using a desktop browser and you are not signed in to your account, when you click on the "Buy It Now" link of a listing, you should wind up with these options:

eburtonlab_0-1703699018981.png

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I've only ever had the sign in to check out button. Never the other one.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply