Shipping label, error message 'Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just that message, no other explanation given. Tried for two days now. I contacted eBay via their help chat yesterday and I was told 'I will forward this to my technical team' and 'it is a temporary issue' and 'it will be resolved soon' and 'please don't worry'.

Note that the postage/package type was defaulted to 'Buyer Selected'...never seen that before?, but I did use that default selection.

I also tried another browser while they were still on chat, they even sent me another link to try. After chat I cleared my browser cache, turned laptop off etc and no difference today. I will have to pay postage at the post office counter.

It is a multi-line click and collect address so that might be the issue?? I have opted out of click and collect now in my preferences as I have other items listed and don't want the same issue happening...just in case.

I assume I can use that click and collect address and pay for postage at the post office counter?

It is only a $50 value item (free post) and I have used up any profit in my time spent on this, will just pay at the PO for post from now on I think, as no real help from eBay.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Shipping label, error message 'Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label'

Is there any particular reason why you felt the need to post the same 'for Dummies' information twice?

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Re: Shipping label, error message 'Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label'

jvdv
Community Member

Same problem - spent 30 minutes on a chat with eBay yesterday only to be told it's a technical issue at their end.  Tries again this morning and get the same error message - eBay say the issue hasn't yet been resolved.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

If it is the same issue as the OP who posted their issue it April, I doubt it would have suddenly been resolved overnight

I doubt eBay tech staff have even been told about it, much less working on it

Have any of the suggestions provided on the first two pages been helpful?

Or anything in any other the other threads about printing labels ?

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

wedec_82
Community Member

Associates, Success finally at defeating the feared Sendle "Something turned out badly and we couldn't create the name"!! Notwithstanding the beneficiary's location being legitimate for Sendle, apparently your location as the source additionally must be substantial AND deliverable to by Sendle (I expect in the event that they need to return the thing as undeliverable). I was utilizing a PO Box as beginning for sending from and getting things. I have refreshed my Primary Address from the PO Box to my actual place of residence (My eBay > Account > Addresses > Return Address). I needed to do this for each of the 5 of the addresses I had in eBay (Registration Address, Postage Address, Dispatch Address, Return Address and Payment and Pickup). I was then ready to produce a Sendle Label. I'm presently during the time spent exchanging every one of my addresses back until I next need to create another Sendle Label. On account of sqleonhart who warned us about the Dispatch Address.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

Seems like a lot of work to do so that you can save a few bucks on postage, and provide your customers with a poorer quality postal service compared to AP.

If I have the choice between 2 sellers for something and one is using Sendle and the other is using AP, guess which one gets the sale ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

I had this problem too. I was able to make adjustments and print the label. Check that both the buyers address and your return address is in the correct format. In my case when I checked the buyers shipping details their ebay username came up on the first line of the the address block. My address had my old postcode which wasn't compatible with my new suburb. 

Once these were both corrected the label printing was possible. It seems most of these label printing errors are to do with buyer and sender addresses.

Hope this saves some people their sanity : )

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply