Shipping label, error message 'Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just that message, no other explanation given. Tried for two days now. I contacted eBay via their help chat yesterday and I was told 'I will forward this to my technical team' and 'it is a temporary issue' and 'it will be resolved soon' and 'please don't worry'.

Note that the postage/package type was defaulted to 'Buyer Selected'...never seen that before?, but I did use that default selection.

I also tried another browser while they were still on chat, they even sent me another link to try. After chat I cleared my browser cache, turned laptop off etc and no difference today. I will have to pay postage at the post office counter.

It is a multi-line click and collect address so that might be the issue?? I have opted out of click and collect now in my preferences as I have other items listed and don't want the same issue happening...just in case.

I assume I can use that click and collect address and pay for postage at the post office counter?

It is only a $50 value item (free post) and I have used up any profit in my time spent on this, will just pay at the PO for post from now on I think, as no real help from eBay.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Shipping label, error message 'Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update for those interested....the eBay shipping label page still will not process for me after 2 days, gives the same error message, so nothing was fixed by eBay.

But....the post office (was actually the AustPost LPO counter at my local newsagent) accepted the click and collect address no problems so you have an option of paying for postage at AustPost for click and collect addressed items....not bound to eBay shipping labels. Just a bit more 'manual-matic' which is OK for the odd item to post.

Also the post cost was the same price as eBay and I got a tracking number which I entered manually for the buyer.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Getting the same message. Trying to send via Sendle but keep getting "Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label." So I have to go to the Sendle website.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

I am having the exact problem with Sendle and am getting the same message " something went wrong etc. Been doing this for over 3 weeks now. Have chatted with reps on 2 occasions but it still keeps happening. 

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Same is happening to me. Getting that same vague error message. Can’t use that free postage label offer. It’s very frustrating 

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

trysync
Community Member

Same here, getting this "Something went wrong and we weren't able to generate the label." when trying to generate a shiiping label for Sendle.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Same Here!!!!

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Easy solution.

Don't use eBay labels; which generally don't provide close to the discounts that the actual provider will give.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

qubetech
Community Member

Hi

I had the same issue today while creating the Sendle label and the problem was in the buyer's address in my instance.

The buyer had a PO Box number instead of the street address.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

I've had this happen when the address is incorrect, eg the postcode doesn't match the town, etc.  The systems doesn't always tell you the address is incorrect, even though it should. Sometimes you can edit the address to correct the errors, however sometimes the system won't accept the changes, maybe the address is too different, I don't know. It's not very good. In these cases I go directly to the AP website (which are 15c cheaper for small satchels than ebay labels at the moment). 

One time I had someone give a ParcelPoint address which ebay wouldn't accept either (!) - didn't check the address prior to the error coming up because I only use AP.  That was a pain.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply