eBay Global Shipping marks items delivered before they are delivered

Anyone else is having the same problem?

In "my eBay" tracking incorrectly shows item as delivered to my PO Box and that I signed for it. Australia Post has no record of the parcel and informes that it would not accept anything directly from FedEx or other carriers. The package tracks through Pitney Bowes and FedEx but not Australia Post. 

It happened twice in a month with parcels from the US.The first time, I opened a case that eBay automatically closed it based on their incorrect tracking info. I immediately appealed and got a "courtesy" refund. In a week I actually got the item that was supposedly delivered a week before it arrived in a local Australia Parcel with no reference to the seller or any of the eBay tracking IDs.

The second time I made a query to FedEx, let the seller know that despite eBay, Pitney Bowes and FeDex assertions, I did not get the package. I also asked Australia Post to look into what was happening if they can. I have good relations with my posties and today got a call that I got a package with a FedEx reference (not given by eBay). Apparently someone in Matrville sticks an Australia Post eParcel sticker onto the FedEx package and  signs the FedEx delivery in my name. Once this happens eBay marks the package as delivered. However the package does NOT actually arrive for a few more days or like last time a week later. In this case I got the Item in 3 days after it was marked as delivered.

Anyone knows how to prevent these problems?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

No need to ask. It is clearly shown on the listing whether the GSP is being used.

Message 31 of 46
Latest reply

@c691600 wrote:
Ive had a package not delivered but saying delivered
The seller in the UK tells me it was sent by gsp never checked my actual address then says to me i must of given this gsp address as my shipping address then says ebay are responsible not him
It shows delivered on the 12th of may (a sunday) not likely i was home all day that day too hmmm??

Why would the seller need to check your address.....if you have given the correct address when checking out the seller will get that address from paypal and send it to that address.

The listing would have shown that the seller was using the GSP so no need for you to ask about anything....and you certainly do not cancel the purchase after paying when the shipping method is clearly shown.

If your parcel has been missing since 12th May you may be out of time for an ebay dispute but there is still time for a paypal dispute.

I think you will find that the parcel cleared Customs and was delivered to the warehouse in Matraville NSW.  From there it will be sent to you.   Have you looked at the tracking since 12th May to see if there is an update?

Message 32 of 46
Latest reply

@c691600 wrote:
From now on I’ll be asking the seller before i pay how they will be sending my item if its GSP i will cancel my order unless they chose another carrier

Some sellers don't know that they have been put into GSP. Others are now realising that they are losing customers. Most decent caring sellers will cancel the auction and re-list. Anyway, they come on Ebay to sell and make money. Makes sense not to frighten away potential customers.

And I agree with you c691600

Message 33 of 46
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Which is exactly why sellers like the GSP....they are protected from bad feedback mentioning the GSP delivery issues, they have full insurance and tracking and are fully protected from claims against them once the item has been received in Erlanger KY.

Sorry Lyndal but I beg to differ. Yes, there may be a minority of sellers that would like the GSP becasue it blocks them from having negative feedback but the hassle of buyers not getting their parcels, the (In your own words which inferred the expensivness of it all)  causes them to lose sales. Because of the hassle, they don't get returning customers, because if the expensivinesscustomers don't buy and the problems with combining, many customers don't buy. Also, remember that there are many sellers who are caring and compassionate people, they don't like the detatchment either. They take pride in their work and like to see customer satisfaction.

Message 34 of 46
Latest reply

You can beg all you like but I still say that the majority of US sellers do like the GSP.

I cannot answer for UK sellers as I have no personal contact with them but we have relatives and friends in the US who sell on ebay and report that they and their friends would not sell overseas without the GSP.

From what I have been told by several UK sellers it seems that ebay ran a scare campaign to force them to use the GSP....they were told it was the only safe way to sell overseas because the majority of "foreign" buyers would try to rip them off.

Message 35 of 46
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

You can beg all you like but I still say that the majority of US sellers do like the GSP.

I cannot answer for UK sellers as I have no personal contact with them but we have relatives and friends in the US who sell on ebay and report that they and their friends would not sell overseas without the GSP.

This is strange. The sellers who I have spoken to, most of them who were selling with Pitney Bowes as the carrier have gone back to USPS. There are many hassles. Still vivid in my mind, the seller in the UK who commented to me how his sales went up big time when he dropped Pitney Bowes and it's GSP.

Possibly the few people you have contacted in the US, family friends etc may want to use GSP. They'll be missing out on extra sales with the issues relating to combining and sooner or later there'll be an unexplained conflisaction, theft or damage.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

From what I have been told by several UK sellers it seems that ebay ran a scare campaign to force them to use the GSP....they were told it was the only safe way to sell overseas because the majority of "foreign" buyers would try to rip them off.

Well, the UK sellers have either fed you a line or they have been fed a line. Sounds like a very unprofessional scare campaign that if true should have been reported by The Guardian as QUOTE: "the majority of "foreign" buyers " wouldn't be trying to rip them off. Total nonsense and a vile scare-campaign if true!

Message 36 of 46
Latest reply

I used to buy a lot from the UK but once the MBG came in it wasn't worth wasting my time searching items in the UK because the number of sellers who would post overseas had drastically reduced. Now that the UK has the GSP the number of items available for posting to here has gone up again, which is enough to prove to me that a lot of sellers would never post overseas if it wasn't for the GSP. 10 years ago those who wouldn't post overseas were a small minority, now it's the opposite, mainly thanks to scammers.
Message 37 of 46
Latest reply

@tangledstitches wrote:
I used to buy a lot from the UK but once the MBG came in it wasn't worth wasting my time searching items in the UK because the number of sellers who would post overseas had drastically reduced. Now that the UK has the GSP the number of items available for posting to here has gone up again, which is enough to prove to me that a lot of sellers would never post overseas if it wasn't for the GSP. 10 years ago those who wouldn't post overseas were a small minority, now it's the opposite, mainly thanks to scammers.

I'm sorry but I don't believe any of that. I've brought many things from overseas and lots from the UK. A seller who helped me with an issue said that he ditched GSP because his sales went down. Then no surprise they went up when he was selling using the normal UK Airmail post.  I've been told this too by another seller in the UK plus some US ones. They dropped GSP and went back to the normal US post.

Some sellers have no idea that they have been opted into GSP.  Also remember that buying multiple items from a seller with Pitney Bowes' GSP means getting charged multiple times.

And what you say about sammers I don't accept Sorry. Yes there are some scammers around but that didn't stop sellers from selling overseas. Yes a minor amount maybe but that was never more than an issue with the minority. Some sellers were scamming buyers as well.

Message 38 of 46
Latest reply

Back on track, I see.

YOU, or I, have no idea how particular sellers view overseas postage. I refuse to do it, so a GSP here would not affect my sales adversely. it could potentially increase them, given the global reach.

Once again your belief is unsupported by actual facts.

Scamming by buyers is far more likely these days, given eBay's MBG. Whether you accept it or not. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence just on these boards. Unfortunately they don't include GSP in the thread title, so you won't ever see them.

Message 39 of 46
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@tangledstitches wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't believe any of that. I've brought many things from overseas and lots from the UK. A seller who helped me with an issue said that he ditched GSP because his sales went down. Then no surprise they went up when he was selling using the normal UK Airmail post.  I've been told this too by another seller in the UK plus some US ones. They dropped GSP and went back to the normal US post.

Some sellers have no idea that they have been opted into GSP.  Also remember that buying multiple items from a seller with Pitney Bowes' GSP means getting charged multiple times.

And what you say about sammers I don't accept Sorry. Yes there are some scammers around but that didn't stop sellers from selling overseas. Yes a minor amount maybe but that was never more than an issue with the minority. Some sellers were scamming buyers as well.

TWO sellers in the UK went back to using Royal Mail instead of the GSP and increased their sales.  I guess that's enough evidence to ban the GSP and force all sellers to post worldwide .  Of course sellers would increase sales if they use ordinary mail, but with a lot of items they increase the risk. 

Just one item in 20 going missing or being bought by a scammer could eat up all the profit on the other 19, or mean that they're giving away the whole 20.  But that's okay so long as the 19 buyers are happy because sellers don't matter.  Personally, I can think of ways to give away items that require a lot less work, but of course that would be bad because it'd discriminate against overseas people who wouldn't get a chance at the freebies.

To those who believe, no proof is needed. To those who do not, no proof is enough.

Message 40 of 46
Latest reply