2 Factor Authentication for Autralian Users

pjl1979
Community Member
In light of the recent breach, why or better yet when will 2FA be available to Australian users of EBay, like is offered to users in the US via the VIP service.
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Thats a poor solution, as it assumes or requires that an ebay member has a paypal account.

What about those who don't have or want a paypal account?

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I do have PayPal set up for 2FA but when I buy stuff on EBay it just debits from my account without even asking me for a login, let alone 2FA. I've looked everywhere for a way to change this to no avail. Now it seems I can't even set up 2FA on EBay itself.

Given these guys are not an amateur outfit, why behave like one? I just don't get it.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

It's not only eBay.

i bought some stuff from Vistaprint the other day and it also went through without a login.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

The thread is more than 2 years old, doubt the member will be back.

image host
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

For anyone just picking up this thread you just need to use the Symantec VIP app (optionally also works with a linked PayPal account). I've been using this method successfully with Australian accounts for several years...

Original here:

1) Go to https://scgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ActivateSecurityToken
2) Open your app, you will see your credential ID up top and current security code
3) Entery your credential id in [1] and your security code in [2]
4) Wait until your current security code dissapears and a new one appears
5) Enter your newly generated security code in [3]

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I just unlinked my PayPal and eBay accounts cancelled credit card and automatic payment for an item after I bid and won a $400 item in USA that offered international priority shipping. Hit the pay now button got a you have paid email followed by a flurry of emails which dissected the payments. One for the $399 Us One of $11.50 the sellers mail costs USPS then another for $49 the portion split to pay Global Shipping Partner.

Next day followed up my tracking and instead of parcel coming via usual USPS routing to an ISC like Chicago it went to Kentucky Fried Chickenland to a freight forwarding outfit.

now it's there until next Tuesday and will take ten days to get here instead of five.

Its called the GSP and eBay have gone into some half assed deal with this company to compete against regular parcel carriers in the belief they can. Do it better.  

I have asked PayPal how come my shipping address got removed from the shipping label and the replacement address substituted sending parcel to Kentucky to be onshipped. 

Got told it's how GSP works like it or lump it. 

I await my Parcel. 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

You must be joking.....you are only just finding out about the GSP?

Maybe you need to find out more about it before you label it a half assed deal.

Pitney Bowes is a well established logistics company of many years standing which ships to Australia via FedEx couriers.

Despite being labelled a Priority Shipping Service it is not really...it is very slow and expensive for smaller items but does come into its own for larger and heavier items where it is very cost effective.

There are plenty of threads on the boards where you can find out about the service....warts and all.

While it is not liked and is expensive and slow, it is certainly not half assed.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

That's Paypal, not eBay. You can still login to eBay without a 2 factor authentication. It's archaic.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply