VAT registering in Australia

I get all those messages to register for VAT , a requirement if selling to UK or EU .

It sounds far too complicated for a small hobby seller however there is no where explained if seller just sell domestic in Australia or to the US , why would we need to register for VAT .

Start of 2021 I had shippings coming back from the UK and France as the purchaser refused to pay Custom or VAT  . Me being trusting the ebay sticker  "( ebay 1234 56 789 code paid ) " was silly , I don't know what code paid means but it certainly didn't help , actually it made the shipping a target . Now I read there are VAT charges for the UK since January and I can't recall having this ever heard mentioned , talking once to the ebay help line and nobody had a explanation why my parcels are coming back .

Would anyone know ... do we all have to register for VAT ( what means goodbye for most of us hobby sellers which been the backbone of ebay  for years ?) thanks

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

VAT registering in Australia

Can't help, really.

The requirement for VAT was advertised last year, but my understanding is that eBay collects it at point of sale (like they do with us if we purchase from OS), but that is the extent of my knowledge.

Customs fees are a separate thing and have always been the buyer's responsibility. Maybe they are confused by the crossover and think they have paid Customs as well as VAT when they see the end price they are charged.

I don't sell internationally.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply