What is Goverment ID required in new selling system?

Hello, the new notification from Ebay about new ways to get paid requires government ID as well as Driver's Licence Number.  I don't understand what this government ID is in Australia?  Could someone please explain? Thankyou.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I think you will find it is asking for a DL ..or... a government id which would be a Proof of Identity Card or 18+ Card if you do not have a license

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

No it is asking for both. A drivers licence number aswell as a government id number.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

reski_19
Community Member

Hey mate. I've just run in the same problem as you. I called Ebay's call centre and all you have to do with Aussie government ID numbers - is put in your 'license number' that's on your Drivers license, and NOT your 'Card number'.  If you select the passport option, I'm not sure what you put in, but the drivers license is simple. It's just confusing that way it asks, but you'll be right. 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Never hear word Government ID, i though was work in government, no thank..

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

As you are not a seller, on this account, you would have not received any notifications.

I sincerely hope the government you work/ed for uses a language other than English

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

With all this identity theft going on these days, why would anyone provide a drivers licence or passport to any company based in USA? Just asking for trouble. I guess it's back to Gumtree for selling.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Stick a sign on your nearest power pole, that will work just as well.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Guess so. 

Managed Payments came in three years ago, and was all announced two years before that, so why wait until now to pipe up if you are really that concerned? 

(And eBay was one of the last to meet the obligation to do so)

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@robian55 wrote:

I guess it's back to Gumtree for selling.

And I guess you believe there's no scammers on Gumtree ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply