eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords

Hello,

Earlier today eBay Inc. announced it is aware of unauthorised access to eBay systems that may have exposed some customer information. There is no evidence that financial data was compromised and there is no evidence that PayPal or our customers have been affected by the unauthorised access to eBay systems. We are working with law enforcement and leading security experts to aggressively investigate the matter.

As a precaution, we will be asking all eBay users (both buyers and sellers) to change their passwords later today. As a global marketplace, nothing is more important to eBay than the security and trust of our customers. We regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We know our customers and partners have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device.

Click here for updates and additional information.

Regards,

The eBay Team

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords

You may need to include step by step instructions so everyone knows how to change their passwords.
Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

haklin4
Community Member

Could eBay please add 2step authentication. Gmail, PayPal, Dropbox all use it - it's time we could add a randomly generated code via an app like Google Authenticator.

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

You can, and have been able to for a very long time already, use a 2 step authentication password. You can register your PayPal random code generator thingamabob with your ebay account as well. I have been using mine this way for years.

I apologise if this is not what you meant.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

When I changed mine I had a choice of a PIN through email or SMS.

Doesn't that count?

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

Hi

After reading this I thought I would have a look at some other things about my account and I found that Lithium Technologies, Inc has permission on my behalf to do thing to or with my account who are they and how did they get permission

Errol

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

This is what you are referring to: https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing_CommandDriven/securitycenter/PayPalSecuri...

However 

1- It costs $29.95 - Gmail, Dropbox, Paypal, etc all offer free SMS authentication

2 - It adds another thing to carry in the wallet - why?

The security key which is a device is the only '2 step' you can link with eBay. Not the free SMS 2 step authentication that PayPal provides. Which is really wierd considering the companies are one.

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

The Security Key displays a random, six-digit code. Log in to your PayPal or eBay account by entering the code displayed along with your account password. The Security Key is available in 2 versions:

Also, according to the FAQ I navigated to from the link you provided, the SMS Key can be linked to eBay.

How do I use the mobile Security Key?

1. Log in to PayPal or eBay with your username and password. You’ll see the Send SMSbutton on the next page.
  2. Click Send SMS to receive a code on your mobile phone.
  3. Enter the code to finish logging in.

Have you tried linking it?

(My Account -> Personal/Business Information -> Scroll down to Security Information -> click "go to the Activation page"

I can't test since I already have a physical Secuirty Device linked, but by going by that FAQ it "should" be possible. ??

Edit:  (Link from the PayPal page)

Or click here   https://scgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ActivateSecurityToken

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

I have tried and it takes you to a website that looks like the image below. Bottom line - there is no current way to activate 2 step authentication without buying the 32.95 security key (bit more than the 29.95 I originally thought).

I'm hoping ebay wake up to this and get onto supplying it without a 90's token item (we all have mobiles ...right)

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 8.51.57 PM.png

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

Interesting. The PayPal website is very misleading.

Edit:

And you are correct. I found this:

PayPal also offers a free Security Key service that works in conjunction with your mobile phone by sending security codes via text message. Although free, be aware that your mobile provider text messaging rates will still apply.  Having the security key tied to your mobile device is convenient, but do remain aware that this version will not currently work in conjunction with your eBay account.

From: http://fraudavengers.org/2012/01/paypal-users-are-you-using-the-two-factor-security-key/

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply