eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords

Hello,

Earlier today eBay Inc. announced it is aware of unauthorised access to eBay systems that may have exposed some customer information. There is no evidence that financial data was compromised and there is no evidence that PayPal or our customers have been affected by the unauthorised access to eBay systems. We are working with law enforcement and leading security experts to aggressively investigate the matter.

As a precaution, we will be asking all eBay users (both buyers and sellers) to change their passwords later today. As a global marketplace, nothing is more important to eBay than the security and trust of our customers. We regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We know our customers and partners have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device.

Click here for updates and additional information.

Regards,

The eBay Team

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords

Lithium run the boards and have to have access to your account on the BOARDS to do the job.

They don't have access to your eBay account.

Down the bottom of every page on the boards - 'powered by Lithium'.

Message 11 of 34
Latest reply

Try this haklin4 (if you have the app.. works with Android as well I believe):

try this

Message 12 of 34
Latest reply

thanks
Message 13 of 34
Latest reply

cosx25
Community Member
Yeh thanks .. Because wot you have written is going to physically solve MY issues that your mess has caused.
Message 14 of 34
Latest reply

I recently had the same concern re Lithium Technologies, I kept changing the setting to NOT allow authorization, to find it just kept changing back. They have something to do with using this forum, so they are legitimately working for eBay. I'm not sure what they do, but I think it is something technical with the way the forum works. You will find that if you revoke their authority and don't use the forum, they don't reappear, but will reappear with your authority next time you use the forum. Hope this helps.
Message 15 of 34
Latest reply

Lithium run the forums for ebay.  The provide the moderation on the site.

Message 16 of 34
Latest reply

If this happened weeks ago and ebay did not notify me then, no point changing my password now is there!

Message 17 of 34
Latest reply

No it is best to still change your password

.....when hackers go phishing they are looking to compile bait for phishing missions at any time in the future. The hackers

now  have your ebay username linked to your real name and address. They probably have the answer to your

secret question.

The hack started in late February March but was current up until ebay discovered it 2 weeks ago.

One of the primary reasons most can pick phishing emails is that the email is addressed to dear ebay member however

post hack the hackers can address the phishing email to your ebay username with your real name  attached.

The primary form of detection will now have to be IMO that if the email is not duplicated in your my ebay messages

then it is probably a phishing email even it is addressed to your real name

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 18 of 34
Latest reply

Ebay is trying to quell panic by stating that "we believe your passwords are still secure"...

However for me that is not the part of the transgression that has the most potential to be dangerous.

... the bit above in my last post re aligning ebay usernames and RL names and addresses IMO will cause many to be

ripped off in the future

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 19 of 34
Latest reply

No sure where those details are in the app (I use android). I've had a look around system settings, the about section of the app etc.

I think we are still at the same place as before. Without buying for a actual physical paypal security key there is no option of sms 2 step authentication for ebay.

Message 20 of 34
Latest reply