eBay, you should vet your ads, or pressure the companies that deliver them

Every now and again, I give a damn. Today is one of those days.

Maybe it's too early on a Sunday and I'm a bit cranky at seeing this garbage on what is supposed to be a respected, and safe web site .. a.k.a. ebay.com.au

If it isn't bad enough that I get bombarded with eBay's suggestions of things I might like (how do they read my mind, it's uncanny!), I have to come across these scammy ads at the top of the page. See attached picture.

To the lesser savvy computer user, which covers a large portion of humans from age 1 - death, these are a trap. Some will get wise once they've clicked on it, but of course there are those that get sucked in.

All in all, I find it a piece of hypocrisy that businesses like eBay will state they are against scams etc, and let third party agencies promote scams.

It's going to feel a little safe because eBay have the "Win A Car" promotion showing up top so when an ad is presented that blends into the page almost seamlessly, then the bait is set.

On a personal grumble, I think I could do without ads at least on my account page? How about it eBay .. 1 little page without ads where I can check over sales etc without ads in my face?

Anyway, this is all pointless.  People think the government is bad for not giving a damn.  Having worked in it, let me tell you the main difference between government and corporate.  The government doesn't need to make a profit.

AAH

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay, you should vet your ads, or pressure the companies that deliver them

download firefox browser. Then find the free add on Adblock Plus and install it. Ta-daaa no more Ads of any description.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Hello

I have the option to remove ads, I understand that.  I am well versed in this technology having some 32 yrs experience.  But I thank you for your suggestion.

The point of my message was:

There are users in this world that will not be able to distinguish (well enough) the scamming ads that are presented to them by a legitimate web site, such as ebay.com.au.  Some will fall prey.  Why these ads are allowed, and how do they even make it to a site such as ebay.com.au is perhaps a mystery? or is it a case of money gets them through the gate.

If eBay was my business, then I would have at least 1 person to take a good look at every ad that's pushed through to eBay from the third parties.

Imagine you owned a school uniform shop that had a public noticeboard inside.  Imagine what kind of perverts would post on that board ... you just wouldn't allow it right?  So here's an ad inside eBay that ultimately promises that you 'could' win a prize if you subscribe to them for $15/week.  That's the core of their advertisement, all nicely dressed up for the gullible ones.  Why, why, why does this happen??

Like I said, some days I care about the less experienced computer users.  Enough said though.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

download firefox browser. Then find the free add on Adblock Plus and install it. Ta-daaa no more Ads of any description.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Hello

I have the option to remove ads, I understand that.  I am well versed in this technology having some 32 yrs experience.  But I thank you for your suggestion.

The point of my message was:

There are users in this world that will not be able to distinguish (well enough) the scamming ads that are presented to them by a legitimate web site, such as ebay.com.au.  Some will fall prey.  Why these ads are allowed, and how do they even make it to a site such as ebay.com.au is perhaps a mystery? or is it a case of money gets them through the gate.

If eBay was my business, then I would have at least 1 person to take a good look at every ad that's pushed through to eBay from the third parties.

Imagine you owned a school uniform shop that had a public noticeboard inside.  Imagine what kind of perverts would post on that board ... you just wouldn't allow it right?  So here's an ad inside eBay that ultimately promises that you 'could' win a prize if you subscribe to them for $15/week.  That's the core of their advertisement, all nicely dressed up for the gullible ones.  Why, why, why does this happen??

Like I said, some days I care about the less experienced computer users.  Enough said though.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply