Do I have to give Ebay my drivers licence if I will never sell on Ebay again?

I sold something recently and have never received payment for it. Turns out Ebay has not forwarded the payment because I have not responded to emails from them telling me to fix something on my account.  I never respond to emails like that because those are the kinds of email links that phishers send out. I mean, how stupid do you have to be to click on a link in your email **bleep**?  Aren't we being constantly warned not to click on links in emails??

So I found more about this in Messages and it looks like they want me to "verify" my identify and send them a copy of my drivers licence.  Seriously?  Put a copy of my drivers licence in the hands of a totally unaccountable entity, from where it could be used for identity theft?  I suspected something was off when Ebay started putting itself in between the customer and the vendor for transactions.

I think I'm going to just let that payment go.  It's not enough to risk my security for.  Am I right in assuming it will not affect my ability to buy things?  The selling process has been getting less attractive every time I use it anyway.   Even if it does mean the end of Ebay for me, I might not comply.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Do I have to give Ebay my drivers licence if I will never sell on Ebay again?

If you have a PayPal account - you have given them exactly the same information.

If you have a bank account - you have given them exactly the same information.

What's different about eBay - it's the law.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Re: Do I have to give Ebay my drivers licence if I will never sell on Ebay again?

yep, out of millions of Australian eBay accounts yours will be the one chosen for identity theft.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Not helpful. I haven't given Paypal a copy of my photo licence card.

And no, it's not the law that Ebay can collect personal information.  What are they gonna do with my licence photo before they pay the money I owed?  Say, yes, that's them for sure, we can pay?  Don't be daft.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

No, I never gave Paypal my driving licence photo. What legitimate use would they have for that?  And no, Ebay is not the law.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@ossminid wrote:

And no, Ebay is not the law.

Maybe not BUT the government rules for identity checks do apply to them.

No different to opening a new bank account - where you have to provide a 100 point proof of identity .

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply