First time international seller in aus

meg_8066
Community Member

So I just sold my first international item to someone in America, i'm in Aus. The postage label requires me to put the package size but I dont even have a satchel yet. Do i get my own satchel from wherever first, and then print out the label and drop it off at the post? Or do I have to get a satchel from auspost since the service im using is auspost? I'm just very confused.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: First time international seller in aus

You might like to cancel the sale. International postage is fraught, and also not supposed to be available to new sellers.

While you're processing the answer, it might pay to research selling on eBay and how AP works.

For example, you have the item and know the dimensions, so package size is known to you...

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I agree without a smidgeon of doubt that cancelling the sale is the best way to go.

As an inexperienced seller, you are far too vulnerable to the exigencies and risks of an international sale. You should cancel with the reason “problem with buyer’s address”.

Also, set up your restrictions to block international sales: you’ll need to do this in your postage section and also in your buyer requirements (in your selling preferences).

Are you verified for Managed Payments? (This involves having provided your photo ID to verify your identity, and having verified your bank account via login credentials or micro-deposits.)

Are you aware of the hold on funds for new sellers?

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Im aware of the funds - mine are on hold for quite a while, but why would I need to cancel the sale? What could go wrong? 

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Let’s say that item doesn’t arrive within the estimated time (as is likely given international timeframes at present, or customs holdup),  and buyer opens INR dispute; you’d lose unless tracking shows item arrived within the EDD.

Item claimed to be SNAD; you’d have to pay the tracked return postage. If buyer is a bad buyer, you might receive back a box full of garbage, and good luck dealing with international eBay CS in that case.

EU distance regulations - more difficult to deal with than any consumer regulations here.

Is the buyer’s country actually accepting international parcels at present?

What have you charged the buyer for international tracked shipping? Is it the correct amount for the size and weight to the buyer’s country?

Those are the most obvious issues.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Well it’s so America and they paid 33 for postage. The buyer has lots of good reviews as a buyer so I thought it was fine. The postage is tracked, and im very certain America is accepting. About the size and weight - the item I’m selling is very small, like the size of a whiskey glass I’d say, but the only international aus post shipping available was a medium sized parcel.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

What could go wrong?

Everything.

For example, a simple INAD would require you to pay return International postage. Given you can't even work out how to post internationally, I doubt you would be up to speed in that case.

Stick to selling to Australia until/unless you work out online selling. 

You have, by your question, demonstrated that you are not au fait (a nod to the countess) with how it works.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

You sold the item once, and then re-listed it the next day as a special order, to be sold again.

Did you cancel the first sale?     The fees on that item will be huge

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Yes the fees were a bit big. Will I have huge fees if I cancel the sale? 

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

That's why I asked if you cancelled the sale.

Fees are credited when you cancel.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply