How do you actually report an unscrupulous seller to e-bay?

I have been dealling with an e-bay seller who sent me a simmilar, but wrong item (a cammer lens) of about half the value of the listed item. 

They didn't have the cheaper item listed for sale or in their completed listings, and they have not offered to send me the correct one, so I don't think they ever actualy had what they listed.

When I called them on it they have agreed to a full refund, but have not explained why they did it, or made any appology.

I strongly suspect they were hoping to sell to someone who didn't notice the difference. They have good feedback for the last 12 months, but when you look back further there are complaints every year or so. 

They have also asked me to send it to a different addres than the e-bay refund had listed as their address.

I want to report this seller to e-bay as I can't see how this was anything but a scam, but as they have paid the refund I can't keep the complaint active, and can't ask e-bay to interveen, and I have lost the chance to leave negative feedback.

I don't want anyone else to be scammed by this person. How do I actually report them to e-bay?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Get the seller to supply you with a tracked postage label via email.

First return and get the refund then worry about feedback, reporting etc.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Opening a dispute is effectively reporting the seller, as these things are recorded against the seller's account, and will affect them even if you can't see any visible evidence of it. The case will always close if the seller refunds, but the record of the case remains. 

eBay does have an option to report a seller, but it's typically for things outside of transaction issues that can be reported and solved with the dispute resolution process (eg it's used to report item listings, report a seller for being underage, etc).

You can find that option here, https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/reporting-item-issue-seller?id=4022

Under normal circumstances, you should only ever return the item to the eBay provided address, as most of the time a seller will refund when they get it back, but if the seller has already refunded, I'd send it wherever they wanted as long as they paid for the postage. (Side note, is it possible they were dropshipping? Inferior products and asking to send back to different addresses, usually in China, is common with dropshippers, as they often never see the products they've listed, it's also possible they just moved and haven't updated their return address - a lot of people will update their registered or delivery address, but don't realise eBay has several different addresses for various things, registered address, deliver address, send-from address and return address are all separate entries). 

Feedback can usually be left via the feedback forum, even if it disappears from the purchase history. 

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

mapr-8462
Community Member

I was glad to find this thread, I'm having a continuous battle with a seller, whom has no clue about the items they sell. I puchased 160 orbital sandpaper discs 40 to 800 grit. They sent 60 to 240 grit. Not what i paid for, one minute they were happy to do a replacement but that was impossible, next minute they tried making me look like a fool by telling me it will work the same. Now I gave them a bad review they are telling me they will refund me if I take down the review first. They said it was company rule. Now in a profession it's called company policy not rule and I could tell it was quickly typed up by the person I'm dealing with as it has the same grammar mistakes. So far I've had enough and told them to give me the refund or get another negative feedback

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

What you could do is use the facilities eBay has provided.

I suspect the seller is in China, and as such eBay Australia have no jurisdiction.

Maybe spend a few minutes reading up on the eBay Money Back Guarantee and how it works.

Or go to your local hardware store for your sandpaper.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

our feedback saying they won't resolve is pointless.

You need to resolve this through eBay MBG as dave has advised.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

fiken-4385
Community Member

I was happy to discover this string, I'm having a ceaseless fight with a merchant, whom has no idea about the things they sell. I puchased 160 orbital sandpaper circles 40 to 800 coarseness. They sent 60 to 240 coarseness. Not what I paid for, brief they were glad to do a substitution yet that was outlandish, one minute from now they had a go at making me appear as though a blockhead by disclosing to me it will work something very similar. Presently I gave them a terrible audit they are revealing to me they will discount me in the event that I bring down the survey first. They said it was organization rule. Presently in a calling it's called organization strategy not standard and I could advise it was immediately composed up by the individual I'm managing as it has a similar syntax botches. So far I've had enough and advised them to give me the discount or get another negative criticism

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

What's a cammer lens? What's a cammer?

Have you read the responses to this thread? Have you read the eBay MBG?

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Scroll up ^^^^^  to the answer from digital*ghost in message number 3

If you have more problems or the reply does not assist please start a new question in 'Buying' as this one was posted a while ago, and responders are not sure who we are responding to

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@fiken-4385,

You do not need to have a "ceaseless fight with a merchant". If the seller has sent you the wrong item, you must simply open a return request in order to receive a refund.

Do you know how to do this? If you don't, then post here again and we will guide you through it.

Could you post the item number of these orbital sandpaper circles here? (You cannot post the seller's name on these boards, but you can post the item number.) The item number will help the responders here to know whether the seller is Australian or whether he/she is registered in another country - and this in turn will help us to advise on some of the details of your refund request.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply