I have a buyer who won't cancel the purchase but has still not paid. What next?

What do i do if a buyer won't pay in a timely manner and won't cancel the purchase?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

A buyer cannot cancel a purchase, only the seller can.

Ebay send an automatic reminder 2 days after purchase to the buyer.

An unpaid item case can be opened 4 days after sale date.

I usually send a message at 5 days asking if there is a problem with payment.

If no response, I open an Unpaid Item Case and that can sometimes spur a response or payment.
If not, I close the case as soon as I can, 4 days after it's opened.
Final fees are returned, buyer gets a strike, I add them to my Block Bidders List and re-list the item or offer to an underbidder.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Open a dispute against them.  Go to "help" at the top of the eBay page and follow the prompts. DO NOT cancel the sale yourself, you will get a defect against your account if you do this. There are processes in place to deal with buyers who don't pay.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Unless they went through the cancel order process and it is waiting for a buyer response which will time out after 10 days.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Good thinking eol.

OP, as said if you are waiting for buyer to agree to a cancellation, you need to wait until it times out if no response from the buyer.

image host
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I find that when a buyer asks to cancel most still do not accept the cancelation request from ebay and I have to wait the 10 days. 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I just open an NPB case. They don't pay, no cancellation, and no chance of them leaving negative feedback.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I am honestly with davewil on this. I don't believe that careless buyers who seem to make cancellation demands rather than requests deserve a cancellation.

It's not as though eBay's Buy buttons look as though they say Ask For Inspection Copy To Be Sent... or Press This Button If You Are Going To Change Your Mind In Less Time Than It Takes A Frog To Turn Into Prince Charming. They say "Buy". There's no confusion of meaning there.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

100% agree

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I find using the cancel option gives the buyer a little more time to pay and am surprised when a week later I receive payment for sales I had written off. As far as someone leaving a negative when they had no paid I find it to be almost non existant with 1 in 15 years and that was back in 2005 when buyers would not know the postage cost when buying due to only having a flat rate option in the listing.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply