Is it true that ebay and paypal are now partners?

geminijimbuilder
Community Member

I heard a while back that ebay was now partners with paypal, if this is correct, then would that be a conflict of interest for the purchaser?
Being a long time consumer of both these companies, I now find that more and more privacy issues arise to operate in these environments.... I lately and still, cannot enter my profile on paypal as I do not use a mobile, this has now caused cancellation of my credit card listed as I could not gain log-in to post my new card details and expiry..... all attempts to contact paypal have failed as    I CAN NOT LOG_IN.......
anyone with positive answers here?

Tens of thousands of  Australian dollars are spent on my account and this will ALL be lost to both accounts shortly as access is denied by Paypal....  -  now looking for alternate suppliers after over a decade.... YOUR LOSS.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Is it true that ebay and paypal are now partners?

Not my loss.

And you are sadly misinformed.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

lynsh84
Community Member

You cannot blame the combination of ebay/paypal for your problems.

Ebay did own paypal but have not done so for a number of years.   There was never a conflict of interest that I could see.

I have used paypal since long before it was ever called paypal and I have used ebay since long before they acquired paypal......and I still use both companies.   These days 99% of my payments are made via paypal.

P.S.   I do not use a phone at all for either ebay or paypal......try using a computer and see if that helps.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Do you actually read my post at all? as  I clearly state that I do not use a mobile, so how in hell do you think I transact with either except with a computer??? by telepathy maybe?   
I did state useful answers, this is NOT.
Are you "off planet" ?

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

No loss to the other members here, unless you are saying you regularly buy from one of us

Can you kindly post the link to where your information came from please?

I have had PayPal for many, many years, I have never used my mobile for it

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

What was required is maybe a solution to contacting either about the issue, cannot this be understood?
As I posted  - cannot log-in to my paypal account "without a mobile number" is the issue......... and as I cannot contact paypal about this issue then maybe ebay as such may be able to help with a solution, failing that I have to resort to asking members    here....... maybe?
and yes I also have not had to use a mobile for paypal for decades, but recently they now require a mobile number to log in to a account here in Australia ... apparently. - as I found last week......
So positive, helpful replies if any, thanks.
Yes if you sell on ebay, then it will affect you as I will not be purchasing from you as this is now not possible.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

eBay sold PayPal in 2016 & their commercial arrangement / operating agreement ceased in July 2021.

I too recently had a similar problem wherein PayPal blocked access to my account wanting a linked mobile (as an increased security protocol/ measure). They could not re-grant access & advised I was to open a new account with a different email address & with a pre-paid mobile (thereby losing my 16 year tenure & all past records). They were to then perform a balance transfer to new account. I did what they asked & then they couldn't transfer funds. In frustration after speaking to junior call takers, my call was escalated & I spoke to a manager who was able to grant access to my original account in a couple of minutes with a few key strokes. I recommend that you telephone PayPal on 1800 073 263 (using a land line) or 02 8223 9500 (using a mobile) 8am to 8pm AEST Monday to Friday to raise your concerns.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

@geminijimbuilder wrote:

What was required is maybe a solution to contacting either about the issue, cannot this be understood?

Ebay does not own paypal so why do you think that ebay can solve your login problems?
As I posted  - cannot log-in to my paypal account "without a mobile number" is the issue......... and as I cannot contact paypal about this issue then maybe ebay as such may be able to help with a solution, failing that I have to resort to asking members    here....... maybe?

I have been asked about adding a mobile number to paypal a number of times but I have never done so.   I have always been able to log in with my email address and password.  Just ignore the request for a mobile number.....my page just said it was an extra layer of safety which I doubt.
and yes I also have not had to use a mobile for paypal for decades, but recently they now require a mobile number to log in to a account here in Australia ... apparently. - as I found last week......
So positive, helpful replies if any, thanks.

I can't be any more helpful than that as I do not have a problem.....I have used the same login and password for decades and just ignore the request for a mobile number.

Have a look at the bottom of the page where it asks for a mobile number.....there is a link to continue without adding the mobile number.
Yes if you sell on ebay, then it will affect you as I will not be purchasing from you as this is now not possible.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

When you log in to some sites - there is a suggestion to add your mobile number, but often they hide a tiny little "Skip" button somewhere on the page, which can be really easy to miss. See if that is the case here.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

I believe ebay bought PP in about 2003 and sold in 2017 so no longer 'partners' with PP

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply