Today I was told I was prejudice against Brazilian people because I didn't post there.

Today I was told I was prejudice against Brazilian people because I didn't post there.

Can any members tell me how efficient Brazilian mail is.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Today I was told I was prejudice against Brazilian people because I didn't post there.

South American countries have a bad reputation with parcels.

I don't post to South or Central America.

Just ignore the message and add them to your BBL.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Re: Today I was told I was prejudice against Brazilian people because I didn't post there.

Overseas mail used to be 1% of my business and cause 99% of my problems.

So happy I stopped sending overseas.

From being almost forced to lie on customs declarations about the value, slow post, customs problems, scamming buyers, so called non delivery, insurance claims, the list went on and on.

The last time (about 18 months ago) I sent two Registered letters to the USA. One took 40 days to arrive and I got a neg from the buyer over it, the other one was returned to me undelivered after a month and then the buyer wanted a refund and would not let me re-send it.

Just hopeless. Buyers are also MUCH more likely to try and scam you if they live in another country.

Also, with eBay's new BS 5% extra fee if you fall below standard, much easier to fall below standard with 0/S post.

Am I "prejudiced" ? Probably. More likely, I have learnt from bitter experience....

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Well, I have no idea about their mail system or the problems it may have....but

Was this a potential buyer who told you this?

and if so

Did they just say it outright in a message?

What is their feedback like (left for others, I mean)

*IF* it was just straight out said in a message about an item they want to buy, the attitude would put me off dealing with them at all

In any case, it is up to each individual seller where they do and don't post to and other people who don't like need to find another seller

Just my 2 cents

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I must be really prejudiced because I won't sell to anyone overseas. I'd sell to a Brazilian if they were living in Australia though.

Tell them it's not them that's the problem, it's their mail system that's the problem. Frankly, I'd just ignore it. If you don't post there you're not obliged to answer questions from anyone living there, and they shouldn't expect an answer.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

South American countries have a bad reputation with parcels.

I don't post to South or Central America.

Just ignore the message and add them to your BBL.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I don't know about postage to Brazil, but it can take literally months for ordinary letters to get here from Brazil.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Overseas mail used to be 1% of my business and cause 99% of my problems.

So happy I stopped sending overseas.

From being almost forced to lie on customs declarations about the value, slow post, customs problems, scamming buyers, so called non delivery, insurance claims, the list went on and on.

The last time (about 18 months ago) I sent two Registered letters to the USA. One took 40 days to arrive and I got a neg from the buyer over it, the other one was returned to me undelivered after a month and then the buyer wanted a refund and would not let me re-send it.

Just hopeless. Buyers are also MUCH more likely to try and scam you if they live in another country.

Also, with eBay's new BS 5% extra fee if you fall below standard, much easier to fall below standard with 0/S post.

Am I "prejudiced" ? Probably. More likely, I have learnt from bitter experience....

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

There's also the 80-20 rule - in your case the 99-1 rule. If 20% of buyers are causing 80% of the problems/stress/time/work, it's much better to forget about those buyers and look for more buyers elsewhere (or just stick with the 80%).
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Here are some more examples of my "prejuidice" gained from 20 years of selling online.

Scamming, thieving Russians, arrogant, pushy Germans with a hopelessly slow customs system, bewildered Canadians with the world's most SNAFU postage set up..

Sent one item to South America and you gusessed it, buyer claimed Item Not Received and got a refund.

My two biggest insurance claims were a $2500 item to USA and a $950 item to the UK, countries with a supposedly "good" postage system.

Xenephobic - please explain? Ha ha..

Spent many hours fretting about overseas mail and when, if ever, it was going to arrive, or whether it had arrived and I was being played...

Now, no more problems with overseas postage.

One can only go by their own experiences and my o/s postage experiences have mainly been just awful.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I suspect like all things it depends on what you sell. Some catagories of goods are much more attractive to scammers than others. I suspect $2500 worth of rare coins could be very attractive to scamming thieves. The stuff I sell is much lower in value and really only of interest to the original buyer. ie. VERY hard to onsell so doesnt attract the scammers.

Currently 25% of my sales are to OS clients and I dont have a lot of problems. Sure occasionally items are held up in the post, resulting in claims, but the extra sales more than make up for any losses. I dont block any countries and Canada is the only stand out as far as problems go, although the U.S postal system seems to be getting slower recently. Perhaps due to Trumps extra information required on computer entries related to mail. Some of the Russian & South American countries can also be a bit slow at times.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply