1080P HD Wireless Security Camera System 8CH 15"LCD WIFI NVR CCTV Outdoor 2TB IR for $35 SCAM?

SEEEMS TO CHEAP?

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

1080P HD Wireless Security Camera System 8CH 15"LCD WIFI NVR CCTV Outdoor 2TB IR for $35 SCAM?

@chrisefton-bellio_0,

What's the item number? (Not the seller's name... just the item number.)

ANRAN has quite a decent name in security cameras. However, bear in mind that if you're buying from a Chinese seller, you will have absolutely no warranty, no matter what the listing says. Also, if there's a problem that develops later (past the MBG timeframe or PayPal dispute timeframe), you'd have to post back the item to China at your own expense, which is likely to be quite expensive. (It's very cheap for Chinese to send parcels to Australia, but Australians posting items to China do not have their postage subsidised by the Chinese government.)

I don't know if these meet Australian safety standards... I would not purchase anything electronic/electrical which does not.

Spoiler

โ€œThere are regulations that apply to the supply of electrical equipment and appliances. The requirements set out in the regulations must be followed. A failure to do so is a criminal offence.โ€

โ€œRegulations and Standards apply to all electrical equipment sold or offered for supply in Australia.    Certain types of equipment are classified as prescribed. These pieces of equipment must go through a certification process which ensures the equipment is compliant to the relevant safety standards before being offered for supply in Australia.โ€

โ€œRegulatory Compliance Mark (RCM)

Prescribed electrical products must have an RCM on the appliance or an Australian approval number to show that the product has been certified.
This mark is currently recognised by all States and Territories of Australia.โ€

Regulatory Compliance Mark

I think it's very unlikely that the system itself is available for $35. Almost certainly - if the listing is genuine - it's a listing with variations type of listing... and the $35 item is something like a power cord or accessory or even a single extra camera (compatible) without monitor, but the kit itself (let's say a 15" monitor, 8 cameras, 2TB storage) when you select it from the item options turns out to be $799.99 or something like that.

Even if the item location states Sydney, NSW, Australia - or something like that - that does not mean that the seller is registered in Australia. Click onto the seller's feedback percentage to reach their feedback profile page; you'll almost certainly find that the seller is registered in China. Oh ... and the item location stating Sydney doesn't mean that it IS actually in Sydney. It might be - because a lot of Chinese sellers use "just in time fulfilment", which is explained here. That means that the item might have been brought here on a pallet and stored in a huge warehouse, in partnership with one of several logistics companies that specifically offer this warehouse and distribution model to Chinese sellers... or it's still in China and will be sent (still in partnership with a logistics company) to Australia after being ordered.

You might find that the listing has "ONE BUSINESS DAY SHIPPING" emblazoned on its item image, but in contradiction to that, look at the estimated delivery dates in the postage section where as of this moment, two postage options might be offered, with these timeframes:

• Free postage (Australia Post Standard)      Estimated Delivery between Tue. 26 Nov. and Wed. 27 Nov.
  • AU $39.99 Express Postage (Fastway Couriers)    Estimated Delivery between Mon. 25 Nov. and Fri. 29 Nov.

But if you post the item number here, I (or any other responder here) can give you some better and more specific information...

By the way, I (and many other buyers) consider 99.5% to be the lowest acceptable feedback percentage for a high volume seller. I also always check the seller's feedback, in particular narrowing down to the negatives; if the negative comments highlight a consistent problem, it is a warning sign worth heeding.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply