Immediate payment

How do I know if an item I’m interested in requires immediate payment?  I’m looking at buying an item (BIN), and I queried the postage as it was $18.50, and the seller has agreed to send it standard post for $9.  When I go to checkout it comes up with “confirm and pay” but still has the postage at $18.50.  I asked the seller to change the postage but hasn’t done it yet. I don’t want to miss out on the item but don’t want to pay double the cost of postage.  Nothing on the listing states immediate payment but I know eBay forces this with some items.

any help, appreciated 🙂

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Immediate payment

Sellers who opt for immediate payment, it will tell you under the postage tab in the listing, usually near the bottom "immediate payment of $450 required". Sellers like myself, who haven't opted in, but it is forced against my will, there is nothing to show the buyer. They find out when they purchase a BIN item. They are forced into payment and if they want to buy more items, each one will be immediate payment. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Immediate payment

Thanks Tippy 🙂

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Immediate payment

@designers*n*more wrote:

How do I know if an item I’m interested in requires immediate payment?  I’m looking at buying an item (BIN), and I queried the postage as it was $18.50, and the seller has agreed to send it standard post for $9.  When I go to checkout it comes up with “confirm and pay” but still has the postage at $18.50.  I asked the seller to change the postage but hasn’t done it yet. I don’t want to miss out on the item but don’t want to pay double the cost of postage.  Nothing on the listing states immediate payment but I know eBay forces this with some items.

any help, appreciated 🙂

Best to wait until the seller changes the postage on the item.    Is it a new seller?  They may not realise they have to do this. 

Maybe send them a polite email after one day and say I am definitely want to buy your item but I am waiting for the postage to be changed to $9 on the listing as agreed.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Immediate payment

If it says confirm & pay then it looks like it's immediate payment required, otherwise it'd just say confirm. I assume you're using the cart, which it's usually best to use, but in this case try clicking on BIN instead. If you get asked to confirm your purchase without being taken to checkout then it's not immediate payment, but if you're taken straight to checkout to pay then it is immediate payment. You won't have 'bought' it until you pay so it should be quite safe to click on the BIN button.

When you contact the seller asking them to change the postage amount in the listing, tell them if they refund you half the postage amount after you've paid they'll be paying fees on the refunded amount.
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Immediate payment

Just to add, if it's not immediate payment you won't have 'bought' it until you confirm your purchase. If it is immediate payment you won't have 'bought' it until you pay, so the BIN button is definitely the best way to check whether something is immediate payment.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Immediate payment

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Sellers who opt for immediate payment, it will tell you under the postage tab in the listing, usually near the bottom "immediate payment of $450 required". Sellers like myself, who haven't opted in, but it is forced against my will, there is nothing to show the buyer. They find out when they purchase a BIN item. They are forced into payment and if they want to buy more items, each one will be immediate payment. 

It seems to be a common problem that buyers are forced into immediate payment. This doesn't appear to happen to me, or I am not aware of it happening. I am just wondering if it doesn't happen to me because I have  "allow combined postage" selected. This is not selected in the actual listing but in my selling preferences, under my selling account. I could be wrong, but it is just a thought maybe worth considering.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Immediate payment

I have allow combined postage, however that means nothing.  Some of my buyers can buy in multiples & request a total, allowing me to change postage before I send invoice, others buy one At a time because that's all the system will allow.

Those who purchase on their phone apps cannot ask for combined postage via "request a total" icon.

Those who are using a PC or laptop & buy via the cart can use "request a total" icon & receive one invoice with combined postage on it.

These are the details I have become aware of by trial & error with my buyers.  When they ask for help & I give them these steps they never have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Immediate payment

Thanks for the replie everyone.

as it turns out, the seller did a backflip on the agreed postage, stating he doesn’t “profit” on postage and what he listed is what it costs, (mind you he confirmed the weight is only 200gms, yet is charging $18.50 for standard postage) 😔 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply