A Warning to buyers of Steel Blue Work Boots

I purchased a pair of brand new SteelBlue works boots of a guy recently. They turned up in the original box and looked brand new.  About 4 months into there use, I noticed the moulded sole on one boot was starting to come adrift.  The other boot wasn't as bad but showing the same problem. I contacted the local distributor who sent a rep out to take the boots for closer inspection. After not hearing from them for a while I emailed to ask what was going on with the boots. This is his reply

After having a look at your boots, they have what we call Hydrolysis which is when the sole starts detieriarating when the chemicals break down. The chemicals break down in old boots that have been sitting on a shelf, under a bed or in a cupboard for a long period of time. Usually 3 – 4 years. We get this a bit with guys who worked on the mines 8 or so years ago and were issued 2 -3 pr a year and thought they would save the boots up. Now we are finding that they are selling them to mates etc. Your boots were made in August 2004 which makes them nearly 9 years old. There is nothing we can do with these boots as they sole will just keep crumbling away.

Amazed me.  So just let it be a warning to would be Steel Blue boot buyers . Buy these boots off major boot sellers by all means, they really are a comfortable boot, but anyone else who may have a pair for sale and can't give you a purchase date, I would steer clear.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: A Warning to buyers of Steel Blue Work Boots

I went on a work boot hunt a few weeks ago.  I needed a women's size 4 - yes, very small feet!

I ended up buying a pair of Mongrel Boots that are more comfortable than my slippers lol!  They're made in Australia by an Australian owned company and were about $20 cheaper than the ladies steel blue Argyle.

Clare

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

The original Australian-made Blundstones were almost indestructable.  Once they 'outsourced' the manufacture O/S they weren't worth the money being charged.

My OH had two pair of originals (new in box) which I sold at a market (for a good price too!!), and both buyers were rapt they were able to buy originals - that was a few years ago now, but I bet they are still wearing them.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I bought a pair of brand new Oliver boots and they leaked water in through the sole immediately. I contacted Olivier about it and I had a reply that they would pass my complaint on to the relevant section and get back to me. Never did and I won't give them any more of my money and I tell everyone to avoid them
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

yep same disintegrating boots, would encourage anyone to steer clear. certainly not worth the money, must have self destruct programmed in i guess they make more money that way but they will get no more of my money ever jon

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

@gracethecat40wrote:

yep same disintegrating boots, would encourage anyone to steer clear. certainly not worth the money, must have self destruct programmed in i guess they make more money that way but they will get no more of my money ever jon

Why not?

After all you got 4 and a half years out of them, didn't you? Pretty good for a pair of work boots.

That's how old this thread is.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

You will be hard pressed to find any work boots that do not have similar soles which have the potential to disintegrate or split in a short period of time.

In fact any shoes or boots that have a synthetic sole are prone to doing the same thing.  I have several pairs of a well known brand of walking shoes that are doing the same thing.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply