Advertised items not in stock

I have had a run of winning auction items and buying pay now items only to receive a message sometime after having paid that the item/s are not in stock.   This seems to be a growing concern and destroys the confidence in using ebay.   Are others having the same problem or am I just having a run of bad luck?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Ok so i started a new thread and asked the same question. geeze talk about getting on you high horse! Smiley Tongue

Anyway thanks for the responses. Here is how it panned out in the end if you are interested:

I told them that I would not accept a refund and they listened! I was able to select an Item from the store of the same RRP (not auction price as this was about 50% of RRP!) AND they threw in some free gear for my trouble.

I said that i knew my rights under consumer law, i had won an auction for an item for X amount when the RRP was much higher. A simple refund was not acceptable, it is the sellers responsibility to make sure they have the Item in stock.

My advice from anyone reading this, dont just roll over! especially if they are a big seller!

If you win an auction and the seller claims to have no Items in stock stick up for yourself! Essentially, if you win an auction you are not entitled to a refund, you are entitled to the value of what it would cost you ro replace the Item they claim not to have in stock (essentially RRP!)

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Well you were lucky that you were able to bamboozle the seller into giving you what you wanted.

Ebay is neither a traditional auction site nor a traditional retails site so you are not entitled to traditional remedies.

But good luck to you for getting what you wanted.....you have probably also scored yourself a few party invitations as well.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Iam trying to find an answer to this question too. Iam not happy that I purchased an item for $850 to find out it is not in stock and now I have waited 7 days for MY substantial refund. This is so wrong. This should not be allowed as I would never have purchased the item if I knew this. I would have bought from some one else? Pretty angry about it actually the refund has been issued but paypal say it can take up to 30 days absolutely ridiculous
Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

No point resurrecting this topic when you've started your own asking the same thing.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

this has happened to me a couple of times ...just recently seller stated I cancelled the order , which I did not, the first time seller did the same thing..both times I paid, and a couple of days later got an email oh we're out of stock would you like this other item, or can you wait a wk or two until I can get this item...sick of this...

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

This is the forum for eBay Australia, and you are commenting on a complaint from over ten years ago

If you are 'sick of it' maybe it would be more productive to comment on a recent topic, or open your own on the forum for eBay US ? 

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply