Advertised items not in stock

I have had a run of winning auction items and buying pay now items only to receive a message sometime after having paid that the item/s are not in stock.   This seems to be a growing concern and destroys the confidence in using ebay.   Are others having the same problem or am I just having a run of bad luck?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Too late bsal, money was already paid with order, you gotta pre pay, they won't deliver anything with a promise of payment sometime in the future.

complaints are only afterwards when they stuff up!

If that didn't involve getting out and fronting at the store it wouldn't be so bad, but one has to get there anyway after finding out something vital (always the way) is not there right in the middle of making dinner!

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

I think what you are describing is slightly different.

If you log onto a grocery site such as Coles, for example, they aren't promising you they will have every item in stock, only that they normally sell it. You aren't logging in for a specific item, or not that they know of, in any case.

If you were to go to the supermarket in person, you would see what is and is not on the shelves and yes, it is annoying if they are out of an item, but more than that, it is illegal for them to advertise a special and not have a reasonable quantity on hand.

But to me, ebay is different. Sellers are advertising specific items. People don't log in to 'shop' at that sellers site, they click on particular items and buy those. The understanding is that if a seller has gone to the trouble of listing an item, then they would have it.

I haven't had it happen to me, but if a seller wrote to me as purchases101craft explained, I would probably be okay with it for a small item, especially if I could see they ran a lot of products. But communication is everything. If they acted as if it was normal and I could like it or lump it, their feedback would suffer.Cat Mad

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

sringyzone, agreed with all - 

but just to clarify, I din't think for a minute it's normal to be out of stock if listed for sale - anywhere.

With supermarkets, I don't shop for "specials", far from it, just normal stuff that is SHOWING AVAILABLE.

Maybe by the time they start filling up my order they run out - don't know how their stock or order site is maintained.

All I said that Ebay or elsewhere - this happens, daily. Same as with any goods online, sometimes even when you go to the store, by the time you left the house and got there - it sold out. End result is the same.

It's all fine for Ebay to say seller shouldn't list something that they don't have, easy for them to say so - but they are not the ones selling it and keeping their eye on inventory.

I am used to waiting, once I ordered a handbag  online, pre paid - and they nearly died laughing  when I expected it by return post. (the seller). Said there is a 2 years waiting list, money needs to be pre paid and wait and wait and... wait!

Still the same these days, except the wait list is closer to 5 years!

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

I'm not able to bid on an item, then retract it because I find it cheaper elsewhere. So why are sellers able to change their deal. Wait until the stock comes in , then sell it.  Easy

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

start a new thread if you have a question this thread is way old
Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Agree - what's just about as bad is when you search for a book on Google and you get a hit which refers you to a list of half a dozen stores who supposedly have it but when you search them all none of them actually have it in stock uhh!

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

Tastiger, the person you replied to isn't even a member of eBay any more, so it's highly unlikely they will ever see your reply. This thread had its SECOND BIRTHDAY 2 weeks ago.

Loonie, you can retract a bid.

Happy belated birthday thread!!! party.gif

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

Hi Guys,

I recently won an auction for an item from a huge australian online store. I got a really good price for the item (~about 1/2 RRP) by outbidding 2 others. I got an email from them today claiming they are out of stock and could offer me a refund or another item. The funny thing is that i just checked the ebay store (6 hrs later) and the item i just won in an auction is not only listed with 10 avaialble (buy now) but being sold for twice what I paid for in the auction! I was even able to add one of these to my cart and all but click the confirm purchase button.

They also have another store (an actual physical store in Victoria), their online site also claims to have them in stock. I am going to give them a call to confirm they actually have none in stock.

SO i am mighty annoyed, furious infact. I call BS on the item being out of stock and i will not accept a refund.

What are my rights under Austrialin Consumer Law? Does the buy need to supply what was promised? as far as i am concerned, they can go to a competitor and buy one ahd have it shipped to me.

Thanks Sarah

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

Now it's over over 4 years old,Corny_cleaning-glasses.gif

Please start a new post if you have a similar problem,(instead of dragging up an old thread).

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

Even though you have dragged up an old thread I will take pity on you and answer it...........

The short answer is that no-one can force the seller to send the item to you.  If you refuse to accept a refund the only thing that will happen is that you will lose your money.

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply