Advice on item not as described

laptopkieran
Community Member

Hi, 

I recently bought a computer off someone on ebay.

I will cut/paist the description here:

This was recently custom built for gaming and high speed office applications. I now use a laptop for both work and gaming so don't need this anymore.
It comes with the power cable, the drivers disk and manual / booklets. It is running a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium on the hard drive.
It is in very good as new condition and has had very little use. Buyer will be very happy.

I have received the computer... although i thought from the add it was a full install of windows 7 home premium. But it is just a trial version.

I am not sure if i should open a dispute, as i could be reading it wrong. But to me that is missleading, and shows that you get a fresh copy of windows 7, not a trial version... now it is going to cost me another 200 odd dollars to keep using the computer.

Would be nice if more experienced members could give me some advice..

Thanks,

Kieran

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

By stating "It is running a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium on the hard drive" would mean to me that it is a full running version.

I didn't even think that they even had trial versions, it may default to a lesser version, although I am no expert.

Can you give any more info?

cheers, Dylan

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

you may need to register it with microsoft if you have the codes

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Ring microsoft, they are very helpful, you will either be able to register the software, or they will confirm its a fake

either way you'll know for sure

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

As far as I am aware all fresh installs of Windows are Trial until they are registered. That is what you need to do.

Anyway, it won't cost $200 to fix. W7 Home Premium is about $100

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

That's right, they need to be activated within 30 days. You can still use it but has a few windows you need to clear on start ups.

All you need to purchase is a genuine key and enter the key in the activation prompts.

image host
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I would be quite annoyed if I had to fork out extra for an activation key, and if this is the case I think it should be made clear in the listing.

Do computers purchased with Win7 from retail stores only have the trial (until activated by payment) ?

The seller may have already used the activation code originally and by doing a fresh install vioded it (although shouldnt be the case).

I would contact the seller to see what they say.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

I would contact the seller to see what they say.

Correct - the seller should be asked where the Windows COA (Certificate of Authenticity) and corresponding Serial Key is. This might well just be an oversight.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

IMO contact the seller and ask them. It may be easily resolved.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

laptopkieran
Community Member

I contacted the seller, and his reply was:

It is running a fresh install of windows. Nowhere does it mention a licence. If you want to keep running windows you WILL need to get yourself a unique licence. Thats just how it works mate.

But i think i am going to just open a dispute. If it was only a trial version of windows it should be clearly stated in the add i beleive.

Thanks for the replys

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply