Advice on item not as described

laptopkieran
Community Member

Hi, 

I recently bought a computer off someone on ebay.

I will cut/paist the description here:

This was recently custom built for gaming and high speed office applications. I now use a laptop for both work and gaming so don't need this anymore.
It comes with the power cable, the drivers disk and manual / booklets. It is running a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium on the hard drive.
It is in very good as new condition and has had very little use. Buyer will be very happy.

I have received the computer... although i thought from the add it was a full install of windows 7 home premium. But it is just a trial version.

I am not sure if i should open a dispute, as i could be reading it wrong. But to me that is missleading, and shows that you get a fresh copy of windows 7, not a trial version... now it is going to cost me another 200 odd dollars to keep using the computer.

Would be nice if more experienced members could give me some advice..

Thanks,

Kieran

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Advice on item not as described

By opening a dispute to get a refund you will have to pay to return the item at your cost via registered mail. This cost is not refunded.

If the seller knew it would more to keep the system going then yes it should have been stated in the listing.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Did you pick up this PC?

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

agypsy62
Community Member

This is exactly the same when you buy a computer from a store, you get the trial period, it's up to you if you wish to continue and purchase a licence, in stores they go over this with you.

Perhaps future ask questions before buying, saving you the worry of being misled. The seller has done nothing wrong unless they say with full activated licence included.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

laptopkieran
Community Member

Yeah it was pick up

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Yeah it was pick up

As it was pick up you should have had it running and been happy with it before taking it.

If you paid with paypal then you have no protection for pick up items and if you paid with cash on pick up you have no protection either.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

An OEM windows key is not transferrable to a new machine.

That's not always true.. A while ago I had to fix a friends PC due to malware/spyware etc.. It was easier to just reformat.. Anyway, she had been running XP but had a copy of Vista that she had been given by the guy who built her previous PC so I installed that on the new PC to see how it would run and it did work..

We couldn't find the key but it allowed me to install it anyway, I just had to enter the key when I found it...

I have heard (Not sure if true) that if you ring Microsoft and explain you've lost your Reg key, they will give you a new one..

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

I contacted the seller, and his reply was:

It is running a fresh install of windows. Nowhere does it mention a licence. If you want to keep running windows you WILL need to get yourself a unique licence. Thats just how it works mate.

That certainly was a misleading listing. TECHNICALLY the seller is correct, and they haven't exactly lied... but it's pretty lame to say what they did in the listing description.

My advice - tell the seller that the listing was misleading... they mentioned inclusion of Licenced Software, yet now say that they didn't include the licence. If they don't give a partial refund, leave a negative about the listing being misleading. If they care, they might then offer a refund in exchange for a Feedback Revision.

The machine is not terrible value if it included a Windows licence, but without one it's pretty expensive for what it is.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

This is exactly the same when you buy a computer from a store, you get the trial period, it's up to you if you wish to continue and purchase a licence, in stores they go over this with you.

We have bought 4 computers for family members in the last 3 years. They have all come willl a full version of Windows. There have been trial versions of Office and various antivirus software, but not Windows ... I would have expected it to come with a key.

I'd be interested to know how you do end up dealing with this issue ...

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

I have a laptop and a netbook, and they both came with a working version of Windows...

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply