Advice on return of cheap items

Hi all

I recently bought a bunch (about 20) of dvds which were disc only.  The seller posted them at 4 for $1.40 which is fine by me.  Problem was 2 of the discs were not as decribed. One was the wrong movie (same title) and the other was not the correct release company (not Sony as described).  I paid about about $3.25 for the wrong movie and 99c for the other.  I think it was a genuine mistake.  I contacted seller and sent photos and they responded to send back items and they will pay return postage plus refund.  Dilema is, should I send back via Registered Post? I know Paypal says yes but that will then make postage nearly $4 which is the cost of the items so seller will be out of pocket. Or am I being set up for the "never received" items saga?

Thanks

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

So fixnwear if the seller of the $1.50 sells a faulty/non sent item to you deliberately and does do to another 100000 people who say nothing because it's too much trouble they'll be on a good little earner.

How does it cost anything but time to complain online to a seller? Granted you wouldn't make a trip back to a dollar store to return something but you might go next day or next week when you do your shopping and it's not an extra trip.

Yes when you buy an item for a few dollars you don't expect quality but you do expect what you pay for, if it's broken or not fit for purpose then absolutely you should go back to them.
Message 21 of 24
Latest reply

letsclean,

your response is quite predictable. And expected -  as far as Ebay buyers are concerned. 

I can and was only making a comment from a practical, non Ebay way of thinking - that tiny losses are not worth the time in chasing.

And your example of a seller getting $1000 dollars for 1000 items as no one is complainig? It most likely never happens - and even if it did - that's still only 1000 bucks, not enough money to jeopardise one's reputation,  let alone retire to some tax free haven and live off the proceeds. For that,  they would have to pull a heist of the century - not sell dollar items on Ebay!

But, your opinion is yours - same as mine is mine - and that is how it should be! We all think ddifferently and have different motivations and priorities for everything we do.

Message 22 of 24
Latest reply

True, however the assumption that "I won't say something because I'm sure someone else will" isn't always wise.

Message 23 of 24
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
So fixnwear if the seller of the $1.50 sells a faulty/non sent item to you deliberately and does do to another 100000 people who say nothing because it's too much trouble they'll be on a good little earner.

How does it cost anything but time to complain online to a seller? Granted you wouldn't make a trip back to a dollar store to return something but you might go next day or next week when you do your shopping and it's not an extra trip.

Yes when you buy an item for a few dollars you don't expect quality but you do expect what you pay for, if it's broken or not fit for purpose then absolutely you should go back to them.

I completely agree that if an item is faulty or not as described, then you are entitled to an exchange or refund, regardless of the purchase price. And just because a product might only cost a dollar or two, that doesn't necessarily mean it is low quality & it doesn't mean it is something you can do without either. I know I have returned a small yoghurt that was mouldy when I opened it. I went back to the supermarket that very day because it was one of the vital ingredients in a recipe. I needed it.

I suppose the same could be true of screws, nails or other small items that aren't hugely expensive in themselves.

And in fact with other items, I make a point of exchanging when I next return to the shopping centre, which may not be for a week or two.

I suppose it all comes down to convenience for both buyers & sellers. Quite a few sellers never bother putting in unpaid item claims as they can't be bothered for the effort for the small return. Same with purchases. If you bought from a shop that was a fair distance away & one you didn't visit often, you would probably just write off a small faulty purchase & bin it. It would be more bother than it was worth to follow it up.

But.. that doesn't mean you would not have been perfectly entitled to follow it up had it suited you. It isn't the price that determines it, it is the time & convenience to the buyer and what they prefer to do.

Message 24 of 24
Latest reply