Advice on return of cheap items

Hi all

I recently bought a bunch (about 20) of dvds which were disc only.  The seller posted them at 4 for $1.40 which is fine by me.  Problem was 2 of the discs were not as decribed. One was the wrong movie (same title) and the other was not the correct release company (not Sony as described).  I paid about about $3.25 for the wrong movie and 99c for the other.  I think it was a genuine mistake.  I contacted seller and sent photos and they responded to send back items and they will pay return postage plus refund.  Dilema is, should I send back via Registered Post? I know Paypal says yes but that will then make postage nearly $4 which is the cost of the items so seller will be out of pocket. Or am I being set up for the "never received" items saga?

Thanks

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@ekrabappel wrote:

Or am I being set up for the "never received" items saga?

I can't say if you're being set up for it, in as much as you'd be leaving the opportunity for it, so it really comes down to whether or not you feel the risk of that possibility is worth it. 

If you trust the seller, chances are they'll do what they say they will do, and send you a refund for the items when they get them back (keeping in mind there's going to be some extended mail delays now, not just 2 or so days, but apparently Easter tends to create a backlog of mail that takes weeks to clear, so allow for 2-3 extra days in addition to normal mail delivery times). 

If you don't want to take any risks, then opening a request would be the way to go, and sending them back once the request is approved, via tracked postage. Realistically, if the seller is actually the type to be tempted to say 'not received', I'm guessing they're also likely the type to refuse to reimburse for return postage, so if they are that way inclined, I suspect the loss would amount to about the same (postage would be minimum $2, because you're supposed to send rigid items by large letter, add on the cost of the DVDs, and you'd lose a bit over $6.00 if you return untracked and never see your money back. If you send back registered the postage cost will be at least $5.90, to get back either $4~odd, or $10~odd if they reimburse the full cost of postage). 

Personally, when  buyer contacts me about an issue like this, where the items need to be returned, I do one of two things - if I can send replacements, I send a postage-paid envelope for the return of the incorrect items at the same time, so buyer has no risk and no upfront costs. If that's not possible, and the buyer pays for postage up front, I asvise that returning via the same postage method is preferable, but if they'd be more comfortable with registered post, the full cost will be reimbursed (some people do go for registered, most stick with large letters, which is always appreciated, and of course I am the type of seller to follow through with my promises, you can't really ever know for sure, though). 

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It does not strike me that you are being set up....the seller is just doing the right thing without involving ebay.

However, just to protect yourself I would send them back via registered or tracked mail.  That way if the seller does try to pull a swiftie you at least have proof of sending them back.

There has to be an element of trust in a transaction and it is hardly a fortune if you do have trouble.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Personally if I got them so cheap, I would say "Seeing as it's just a genuine error, don't worry about it, thanks for the offer".

Seller might just send you the correct one FOC.

image host
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

ekrabappel, sorry to hear you got  wrong items.

However, for that little money I would have a huge problem creating problem for seller, causing them to waste time and money paying  the postage back.

Why not just chuck them out if you don't want them - it doesn't look like it's even worth YOUR  time either mucking around with messages and posting.

And seller would also greatly appreciate it - especially if it was a genuine mistake, like you seemed to think.

I do the same when my kids come back with the wrong thing from the supermarket - couldn't bear the though of getting back in there and swapping it - straight to the bin it's cheaper - as time is money.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

I've paid over $30 for items that weren't as described and I kept them what's the point of returning something so cheap?

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

If I sent the wrong items I'd refund the price of them and the return postage BEFORE they were returned so that the buyer knew they could trust me. Yes, I'd be risking them keeping them and not bothering to return them, but if it was my initial mistake why should the buyer be subjected to any further risk when I've already been proved either incompetent or untrustworthy?
Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am glad to see that I am not the only poster that would just cut their losses in this case.

Does it really matter what company released a movie.....if it is the same movie who cares?

As for the wrong movie but right title.....did you make a mistake or did the seller?   Did you look any further than the title...did you check who was in it etc?

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are returning 2 items that cost you $1.50 each.
You do realise of course that the seller is under no obligation

to refund return postage if this is a PayPal dispute.

Someone mentioned that they would send money first to show

they were a seller to be trusted. An unwise practice.

In any case why didn't you just throw them in the bin.

You are talking about $3.00 with the balance of 18 dvd's

now costing you an average of $1.66 each

Are you winding us up ???

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apology. I was rushing and 'assumed' you paid $30 for 20 dvds. I thought another poster who mentioned $30 was 'you'.

It's late. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply