Afterpay on Ebay next year

I haven't seen this mentioned yet (sorry if someone has).

Aparantly it is confirmed that Ebay Australia and Afterpay have teamed up to start next year: https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/afterpay-signs-ebay-australia-231321724--spt.html

I won't use it to buy but with the number of people who use the service to buy products on my own website I can guess it will be a winner.

Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There have certainly been enough queries about it on the boards maranock.

Heaven help you if you express reservations about it (as I did).....you will be pilloried for expressing your opinion.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Major purchases like housing and motor vehicles require some form of credit.

Everything else should be be 'save for it or go without'.

Burgeoning levels of unserviceable credit are why most nations are neck deep in poo.

I remember an old credit card statement with wording something like...

"If minimum payments are made you will be in the clear in 145 YEARS".

I only use Visa Debit in these times.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

I wonder about how it is going to work when there are problems. I have it on my site, as I have said, and the terms and conditions are onerous and confusing when problems arise. I have been thinking if removing it as an option because of this even though I haven't had any problems with my customers yet.

Latest reply

It will be even better when used for purchases from overseas so no real benefit to the local economy.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Major purchases like housing and motor vehicles require some form of credit.

Everything else should be be 'save for it or go without'.

Burgeoning levels of unserviceable credit are why most nations are neck deep in poo.

I remember an old credit card statement with wording something like...

"If minimum payments are made you will be in the clear in 145 YEARS".

I only use Visa Debit in these times.

Paying off an eBay purchase over time would be a disaster....if you buy more stuff you would be more and more in debt, and if you don't buy because of existing debts you may lose out on stuff you really want  Either way it can't be a good thing.

Years ago I paid cash for everything, but knowing eventually I would need to get a loan for a house or car, I decided to get a credit card on an expensive electrical purchase so I'd at least have some kind of rating.  Not liking to be 'in debt' I of course paid more than the required amount every month....until I was around 6 months ahead on payments.  Then on the next statement I was suddenly in the Red!  I phoned the finance company and at first I was told by a snooty customer service person I had to make more payments as it was my fault.  I asked to speak to her supervisor.  I explained the anomaly and EVENTuALLY she admitted when customers got far ahead in payments they 'for administrative reasons' might reset the debt as though the 6 months never happened...therefore putting customers in the red.  For that despicable conduct I immediately got a pay out figure and paid off the card that day.  Then I bct up the card.

I've never had a credit card of any kind since and I never will.  I won't be usng Afterpay either.  I love my debit card.  If I can't afford the item then I do without. 🙂

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

I use Afterpay regularly. You have 8 weeks usually to pay an item off. No interest, and if you can't make your regular payment then you can call them and sort something out. Having it for use on Ebay purchases is ideal. Been waiting for some time for it to happen. Afterpay makes sense to me.
Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Illegally importing rat food from overseas makes sense to you too Michelle.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Illegally importing rat food from overseas makes sense to you too Michelle.

Lyndal, it's pointless bringing this up. Michelle is not talking about importing rat food on this this thread

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Of course Lyndal you had to have a dig at me. It's getting a tad "OLD HAT" now. Move on. It doesn't exactly get on my nerves but the subject about pet food was in its death throes yonks ago.
Message 10 of 27
Latest reply