Afterpay on Ebay next year

I haven't seen this mentioned yet (sorry if someone has).

Aparantly it is confirmed that Ebay Australia and Afterpay have teamed up to start next year: https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/afterpay-signs-ebay-australia-231321724--spt.html

I won't use it to buy but with the number of people who use the service to buy products on my own website I can guess it will be a winner.

Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Illegally importing rat food from overseas makes sense to you too Michelle.

Lyndal, it's pointless bringing this up. Michelle is not talking about importing rat food on this this thread

Hiow do you know? That seemed to be her main sort of purchase not that long ago.

Besides, why should Lyndal stay on-topic when you never do?

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Lyndal, it's pointless bringing this up. Michelle is not talking about importing rat food on this this thread

Hiow do you know? That seemed to be her main sort of purchase not that long ago.

* Come on davewill, look at Michelle's post and that will explain things.

* Quote "never do" = Incorrect sir!

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

I too have reservations Lyndal - I read recently that if you're considering a bank loan in the near future for a house purchase or other big ticket item, the banks will not look favourably on you as a credit risk if you use this type of buy now pay later service.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

* Come on davewill, look at Michelle's post and that will explain things.

* Quote "never do" = Incorrect sir!

Show me a single post of yours that was on-topic. In that you actually answered a question rather than have a rant about GSP, GST, governments.

I won't hold my breath. And I'm not an officer.

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

Totally agree. He uses the ebay buying forums as a political platform, which it definitely wasn't designed for! Pity the mods don't do their jobs properly and remove all his off-topic rants.
Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

I too have reservations Lyndal - I read recently that if you're considering a bank loan in the near future for a house purchase or other big ticket item, the banks will not look favourably on you as a credit risk if you use this type of buy now pay later service.

Bank loans for houses are pretty difficult to get now as it is. You can have all the equity in the world but if you dont meet the surplus income criteria... Bye Bye.  We recently purchased a property that had been on the market for many months. It had been under contract several times, but fell through each time due to finance. There needs to be checks and balances, but the banks are contributing to the slow down in the economy with their current lending policies.

A friend who was an international banker for many years suggests the banks are doing this on purpose to " punish " the current government for holding the Royal Commission into banking services.

As for Afterpay.... It is just another payday lending, vulture company, preying on the weakest members of society who dont understand how quickly things can go wrong and how expensive it can get when they start missing payments. It feeds into the instant gratification of " I want it and I want it now " syndrome that seems to have permeated society.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

If this after whatever it is comes in next year, those of us who sell won't need to worry. We get the money straight away from the finance company. It's up to the buyers to make the necessary payments. If they don't, it's them that find themselves up to their eyeballs in debt. I'd imagine like most loan shark companies, pay your bill and you're OK, but miss a payment and you will need to sell one of your livers to get out of debt.

I really don't care if eBay bring it in or not, because I will still get paid at the time. If buyers wish to use it, that's their problem. I don't care whether they miss payments and then have to sell their house to get out of debt. They should have thought of that before making the purchase.

As for me using it as a buyer, not in a million years. If I can't afford to buy something, I either save up for it, or I go without. Nothing is that important to go into hock over. Of course, that doesn't mean houses or cars. Of course you need finance for those. I'm talking about every day stuff. I recently saw someone after zip pay thingy a $25 tie. If you can't afford a $25 tie, then you really shouldn't be taking out finance to pay for it.

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

It's handy for someone on a low income, $25.00 isnt a lot, but for some people paying that amount in one go can be a strain on their finances, and also their budget. I mean there is no interest to pay on purchases which I think is a pretty good deal.
Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

Oh Michelle, many of us are on a limited income.  Dont play that game.  I personally save what spare $ I have if I need something.  and dont expect someone else to finance me for a few weeks/months.  Has anybody ever heard of budgeting?????   You know your income and work within it.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
It's handy for someone on a low income, $25.00 isnt a lot, but for some people paying that amount in one go can be a strain on their finances, and also their budget. I mean there is no interest to pay on purchases which I think is a pretty good deal.

And that's where companies like Afterpay will make their money - in the debt to them that can't be paid off because the lender has over-budgeted on their spending, so either the lender has to pay high fees on the loan or the debt-collectors are brought in.

Low income families are the most vulnerable to these schemes, it's far better to put your money aside and pay for items when you have saved up for them, that way if you have any unforseen expenditure (car breaks down, white goods pack up etc etc) you won't get into an ever increasing debt spiral.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 20 of 27
Latest reply