Am I being a bit picky?

Received today a handbag in an express satchel.  The bag had no wrapping, or plastic for protection just put into the satchel.  Also the description was new with tags, all I found was a small piece of white thread inside the bag.   The condition of the bag doesn't look new, it has a couple of little dents to the clasp but don't know if this happened in transit.  I bought this bag for a wedding this weekend and I intend to still use it but a little disappointed.  Not sure how to mention this to seller.  Advice appreciated.
tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Am I being a bit picky?

Have a look at the photos in the listing if there is a sign of the dents.  However, if the damage happened in transit it is the sellers fault/responsibility; they should have protected the item so you get it in the condition it was advertised.  Also if it did not have tag I would question that.  I would contact the seller and include photo of the dents, point out that they misrepresented the condition and ask for partial refund.  if they do not respond favourably, I would be leaving appropriate FB.
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 2 of 44
Latest reply

Am I being a bit picky?

One approach you could take is to message the seller with something like:

"Hi, I received the bag and I am looking forward to using it, but I thought you should know that the bag has a dent which might have happened in transit if it wasn't already in the bag before you packed it.  You might want to use bubble wrap in future.  Thanks."

Then you could wait to see the reply.  The seller might offer to compensate or the seller might just ignore you.  Feedback can be a reflection of how the seller deals with this.

Message 3 of 44
Latest reply

Am I being a bit picky?

Hi tulip,
not impressed at all with your seller's efforts at packing the bag, or anything generally just showed in the satchel.
But when I personally buy anything on Ebay I am mostly guided by the amount of money I have paid  - which is probably a bit more objective way of looking at it.
If I get something that I know for a fact is around $500, and all I paid is a $100 or less - to me that is  a very good deal, so any little imperfections would be considered as part n' parcel of getting something so much cheaper. Even if the seller says it's brand new and then it turns out it isn't - that would be the least of my worries as long as the item is still functional and not in too different condition (like falling appart or something).
And I know you'll get totally different advice from everyone else, telling you that every last detail in the listing, no matter how insignificant has to match the item received - and maybe one has to consider all that - but to me condition and my satisfaction as a buyer is always directly related  to the price paid. I never forget the fact that I could have chosen to pay the full price in the store - then I would have every right to demand perfection.
It'll never ever, ever cease to amaze me how heaps of people leave the worst feedbacks to sellers after they paid for an item almost nothing! (Nothing to do with your case, just an observation over the years I have been here)
Hope this helps you some - just someone else's point of view.
Cheers, Di.

Message 4 of 44
Latest reply

Am I being a bit picky?

Also when you use it at the wedding, remember no one is going to notice small things on a handbag, they will be too distracted by your radiant beauty. 😉
image host
Message 5 of 44
Latest reply

Am I being a bit picky?

tulip, how much you paid for the item is irrelevant. it is all about being as described. if it is not exactly as described then ask for refund or partial refund if that suits you. it is your hard earned cash you parted with so you are entitled to first class service regardless of the price.
Message 6 of 44
Latest reply

Am I being a bit picky?

Thanks for your replies.  The price I paid is approx 20% (incl postage)of what they had used as the RRP in their description.   Will contact the seller with a pic of the clasp and enquire about the "new with tags", maybe the white thread which is also in their pic is whats left of the tag.  Also thanks k5.
tip toe through the tulips
Message 7 of 44
Latest reply

Am I being a bit picky?

If item is advertised as new with tags, it should look as you would expect brand new item from B&M shop to look.  Price paid  is totally irrelevant.  Especially for fashion item.  Last year fashion sells for fraction of the original price ( even if the quoted RRP is factual).   Only man can say that scuffs/dents on bag bought for special occasion are not an issue 🙂  If the marks were there and disclosed, the OP and the other bidders may not have bid at all, or maybe not as much, so partial refund is definitely in order. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 8 of 44
Latest reply

Am I being a bit picky?

Must say there is a few different people that reply under the ID of jameshouseofstyle Seen a couple if different names to the messages here.

But OP you should get the item exactly as described. Even if it is worth $500 and you got it or $100 that is just a bonus but I would still want the item to be NEW with TAGS as per description.

Message 9 of 44
Latest reply

Am I being a bit picky?

Is it possible that the seller has inadvertently sent the wrong item to you? It does happen occasionally.

Message 10 of 44
Latest reply