Australia post is ludicrously expensive

Just venting..........Many examples I can think of. Here's just 1.....Recently bought 2 tee shirts. 1 from a Sydney seller the other from an American seller. Postage was dearer for Aust. Post satchel than USPS. How can it be possible knowing that the USPS item is handled by Aust. Post when it hits our shores????? Can't get my head around it!!!!! Suffice to say we are being shafted!!!

Message 1 of 97
Latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: Australia post is ludicrously expensive

the cubing system is because a huge box of Air or Feathers or Bubblewrap takes up exactly the same amount of space in a Post Truck as the same size box of books

you are paying postage on the SPACE the box takes up in the delivery Van.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 21 of 97
Latest reply

so irregular parcels don't take up space then ??

lol

Message 22 of 97
Latest reply

deals_2_your_door
Community Member

I cant believe that Australia Post (our government) have gotten away with the price increases that they have implimented over the last 8 years ive been in business. Its been going on for some years now and its quite clear they knew online sales were on a sharp rise in a big way, even before the retail sector fell over. Operating an online business, im full aware of the constant changes they make. Its their way of getting a slice of the pie. They always would have but see its apportunity to sneak more and more. Mark my words, they will privatize this when the profits are roaring.

Message 23 of 97
Latest reply

deals_2_your_door
Community Member

There needs to a full blown enquiry into this as ive seen the changes over the years and its discusting and they should be ashamed

Message 24 of 97
Latest reply

I cant believe that Australia Post (our government) have gotten away with the price increases that they have implimented over the last 8 years ive been in business. Its been going on for some years now and its quite clear they knew online sales were on a sharp rise in a big way, even before the retail sector fell over. Operating an online business, im full aware of the constant changes they make. Its their way of getting a slice of the pie. They always would have but see its apportunity to sneak more and more. Mark my words, they will privatize this when the profits are roaring.

I am fairly sure AP is a publicly listed company and has been for quite some time.  200+ million in overal profit seems a lot but I do not now what the market cap is on the company.

They do have price increases quite regularly and don't seem to justify them.

Message 25 of 97
Latest reply

Also as AP customers we subsidise the cost of delivery of overseas packages.

Message 26 of 97
Latest reply

From expirience DHL in germany cost me $30 and the large box came here in 8 days.

$40 and a week from New Jersey....box big enough to hold 4 boxes of shoes.

Something wrong when it can take longer than that and costs more to send something to far North Queensland from victoria.

Message 27 of 97
Latest reply

Something that decreases the delivery time for DHL, as I use it as well for purchases from Hong kong, is that the parcel doesn't sit in customs for days. I think the package is checked when sent or something, it does cost more though. DHL is really fast I have had something sent on a THursday and arrived Tuesday I I live in a remote area as classified by them.

Message 28 of 97
Latest reply

so irregular parcels don't take up space then ??

lol

Scary but true it would seem.

I can stuff 2kg of fleece in the largest AP tough bag with gusset and send across the country and only be charged for the actual weight and distance but if I put that same 2kg fleece in a cardboard box  roughly equal to the largest tough bag with gusset then the box is cubed.

They will both take up about the same space in the delivery van.

How to they pack these delivery vans?

Do they store irregular pacels as if building a dry wall or do they sit them on top of each other depending on the route to be travelled?

How are bags easier to handle than cardboard boxes?

Message 29 of 97
Latest reply

thebarginfinder
Community Member

Australian goverment still owns something, We will privatise our Army to Korea soon aswell.

Message 30 of 97
Latest reply