Australian Gst on imported goods is 5% not 10%

I thought i would check the gst implementation out on some items i had in my cart and it looks like its 5%  and not 10%   ๐Ÿ™‚

12.19am  01/07/18

and there is no GST on postage which is good

here is a copy and paste of 3 items 2 are Euro $ and 1 is US $

my post code has been editied

label value Items (3) AU $245.94

Postage to ( my location ) AU $60.48

GST AU $13.75    

Total AU $320.16

hope it stays this way

5% i can handle

10% is too much on items under $1000 

Message 1 of 53
Latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: Australian Gst on imported goods is 5% not 10%

Yes it's been charged for all sellers even though that isn't really the law.. It's because ebay counts as an "EDP" the definition of an EDP is someone that helps you ship your products so in this case it's ebay which has to pay the 10%. Now if you were to buy from that same seller directly out of ebay you wouldn't by law be paying the 10% and that's the direction we will now have to take. I guess it's because of global shipping that ebay has decided not to fight the government over it. Aliexpress is definitely not an EDP but for some reason they say they will take the 10% too.. but they don't have to pay it to the government so I have no idea why. Most sellers on aliexpress would be lucky to sell 5$ a year to Australians. The whole law is a joke, if I owned ebay I'd tell the government to shove it, what are they going to do.. nothing. Does anyone know what happens when the item is being listed from a charity? when it says in red.. this is for charity on the listing? I assume they are excempt. 

Message 11 of 53
Latest reply

i just check that item on ebay and the same item on the sellers own site and no gst is added on the sellers personal website..both at checkout

Goods and service tax was one of the worst taxes invented and implemented worldwide

was a way better system when it was just  Income tax and no gst..

example:

i recently purchased several items from spain . sell normally didnt sell outside of the euro zone, so they invoiced me with 20% vat. 

i asked him to remove it.

took him near 2 weeks to get accountant advice and he replied with.

"accountant says i can remove but delivery agent says no so i cant remove the VAT"

i told him to cancel if he cant remove local taxes as i dont want to pay 2 lots of taxes on item as my country could/might charge me also  = 30% tax if paying tax in 2 countries

he did remove the VAT tax in the end thankfully

Message 12 of 53
Latest reply

australian government have implemented laws for international companies that dont comply with aussie GST they will be charged 40%  not the GST rate.

that law was created last year

Message 13 of 53
Latest reply

They can't enforce that if they have no assets in Australia, this is where Hobbyking got snookered, they have added the 10%. Deal extreme no, taobao certainly no. UTsource no, still plenty of places to by stuff around.
Message 14 of 53
Latest reply

Enforce .  i have no idea   but i supose they can Geo ban websites if that want to if no comply   >.<

just like Amazon said they will Geo ban australian amazon users from international amazons sites

Australian government are treating online platforms like brick and mortor stores now

this is ridiculous now...        

like a snake eating its own tail    >.<

online goes up  so will the brick and mortor stores

next thing to go will be  VPN services  

Message 15 of 53
Latest reply

@elderbluedragon wrote:

i just check that item on ebay and the same item on the sellers own site and no gst is added on the sellers personal website..both at checkout

It's because the seller didn't have to register for GST, having an annual turnover of less than $75,000.

That's why many people will now try and see if sellers have a personal website or sell on smaller sites.
Message 16 of 53
Latest reply

I just visited Etsy and it is all very clear. The GST is included even before adding items to the cart, let alone checking out.

This is what is under the price: GST included (where applicable)

I really wish eBay had done the same.

Message 17 of 53
Latest reply

I'm wondering how ebay can get away with charging the gst on businesses under 75k? I've looked at dozens of ads and every single one has gst applied. Not to mention the fact that many Aust businesses themselves won't import more than 1k per item so they get hit and pass it on to the consumer! This isn't about encouraging us to shop local.... it's just another way to tax us.

Message 18 of 53
Latest reply

etsy has been showing that for well over a year now.  They didn't bring that in for this particular tax.

Message 19 of 53
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
Do your research and buy the cheapest one.
That's what I do and as it stands often even with an extra ten percent the items are cheaper from overseas than here.
That's if you can find it in this country.
No one imports Hasegawa kits into Australia any more, so must be purchased overseas
Message 20 of 53
Latest reply