BID RETRACTION AND AUCTION POLICY

austmann76
Community Member

Hello Ebay community. I am writing about this topic as i feel that some of the Ebay policies are not in the best interests of users of Ebay and that it should be changed to make Ebay a better place for all. 

I think that Ebay is mostly a good place and a good idea as it gives individual persons the opportunity to list items that they no longer need and to be able to make a few dollars on their unwanted items instead of ending up as landfill or crushed up into a little metal rectangle by the scrap yard and wasted.

I however do not agree with some of Ebay's rules that being bid retractions and listings. Fair enough if I was at City Motor Auction Group in Brisbane ( which is an automotive auction house ) and bidded on an item no bid retraction should be available because you have time to inspect the vehicle and look all around it and check all paperwork. It is an in house, on the spot, auction that you can see what you are bidding on in front of you. With Ebay however 40% or more of the time there is no way you can view an item and it is bid at your own risk.

Because of this I think bid retractions should be allowed and I will be trying to get support on this issue from other members.

I think another problem Ebay faces is items sold outside of Ebay and then the item does not get removed by the seller which makes a big confusion, or items that are listed being pulled off in the last day or hour because the seller does not like the price he/she are going to get for the item, or other Ebay members accounts being used to boost the price of an item.

Things like this happening can be minimized by having a rule that once an item is listed it is listed and cannot be removed or deleted and has to run the full term of the listing chosen. The seller should have the opportunity to read this condition of sale but once he clicks accept and the item is listed he can not then remove or delete the item and it has to run the full term of the listing. Legal proceedings should take place againt the seller if sold outside of ebay because item can not be deleted and he has accepted the conditions of sale.

I think that this would minimize instances previously described happening and make Ebay a better place for all.

Take my poll if you agree or disagree with having bid retractions and fixed term listings.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: BID RETRACTION AND AUCTION POLICY

carly_and_judy wrote:

dont forget   also if a item is retracted the seller has to pay ebay fees  etc  still

?:|

what fees etc... does a seller pay if a bidder retracts?

I think C&J means if seller removes the item they still have to pay the listing fee (that is if itwas not free, which  the casual sellers who cancel auctions would get)

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

yes super thanks
Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

Your poll is incomplete. There needs to be an option to 'leave as is' or otherwise the results mean zilch.
Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

You have 4 options in the poll but 2 different topics, did you not realise we can only vote for 1 option out of the 4 available, so if I want no bid retractioins and no fixed term listings I can't vote for them.

Back to the drawing board.
Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

austmann76
Community Member
Hello i-once-was-bump, well pick the one you like the most and vote for that.
Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

austmann76
Community Member
Hello ebay community was thinking just now about this topic and i suppose its actually a few topics in one but stuff it il include it under this heading anyway.
I suppose when i started this topic my intention was, (and still is) to make ebay a better and fairer place.
Anyone got any better ideas on these topic/s?
Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

I suppose when i started this topic my intention was, (and still is) to make ebay a better and fairer place.

Good luck with that. I hardly see how a poorly thought out self-selecting members' poll will achieve it, though. Even a well thought out self-selecting (the only type you will ever get on the boards) members' poll wouldn't achieve it.

Given that there are far more BIN listings than auctions and the trend is going further towards BIN, the 'problem' is diminishing and will probably go away soon.

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

austmann76
Community Member

davewil1964, are you suggesting by your little comment "something about rocks and glass houses" that i have shill bidded on an item or did something that i am writing about?

If you are you are utterly mistaken.

Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

That is my signature. It's below the line and appears on all my posts.

Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

Hello i-once-was-bump, well pick the one you like the most and vote for that.

What silly nonsense, there are clearly 2 different topics each with 2 possibilities.

I don't think eBay will be too interested in your ideas if that is how you solve a problem you have created.

Message 30 of 37
Latest reply